Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Gift for lady in her early 60s

BringBackThinEyebrows · 04/12/2021 14:18

I'd love some ideas on what to buy for a woman in her early 60s. Budget is £100. She prefers staying in since lockdown rather than events or experiences, so maybe something she can use at home. Some info:

-Already has loads of beauty products and knows exactly what she likes
-Has a dog and loves country walks
-Has a tablet she enjoys using
-Likes stuff in National Trust shops
-Enjoys crafts but has tried to declutter her craft supplies this year
-Enjoys reading fiction (especially crime fiction)
-Likes clothes but doesn't treat herself to new clothes often
-Already has all the kitchen gadgets e.g. velvetiser

Any suggestions welcome Smile Especially if you're a similar age and know what you want.

OP's posts:
Please
or

PinkTonic · 04/12/2021 21:27

@RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie

I think a Kindle is a terrible idea. Surely anybody who wants one and has a relatively decent income would already have one?

Couldn’t agree more.

I did have one of those wool blankets last year and I love it for my home office. My son got me AirPods which I’ve really appreciated because wfh at a screen all day I’m listening to audiobooks at night. I also like nice candles, incense and plants. I was recently given a beautiful plant on a lava rock with a mister and little secateurs.
Please
or

Alcemeg · 04/12/2021 21:34

UNICEF online market has some great gifts such as crafts from the Andes, e.g. market.unicef.org.uk/product/colorful-cotton-shawl-crafted-in-guatemala-san-juan-fiesta/E59916/

Please
or

maofteens · 04/12/2021 21:34

Depending on dog breed a nice coat and new collar and lead? Or a harness and lead? Quality leather ones are pricey so not something she may buy herself.

Please
or

thickthighs73 · 04/12/2021 21:36

Make up a nice luxury hamper

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 04/12/2021 21:43

If you gave me a jigsaw, I'd be deeply unimpressed.

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 04/12/2021 21:43

@IbizaToTheNorfolkBroads

A foldable Panama hat for the summer

And if you gave me one of these, I'd wonder what on earth I'd done to upset you.
Please
or

Skinnytailedsquirrel · 04/12/2021 21:44

A bottle of gin.

Please
or

Bananasareyellow · 04/12/2021 21:51

Nice hiking socks and a fancy thermos? You can buy personalised ordnance survey maps with their address positioned in the middle.

Please
or

ApolloandDaphne · 04/12/2021 21:52

I think the takeaway message is that you need to know what she would like or you could get it very wrong.

Please
or

merrymelody · 04/12/2021 22:09

Age isn't as much of a factor as personality in choosing gifts. Especially for adults.

Please
or

Missymare · 04/12/2021 22:14

How about some recycled cashmere fingerless gloves from Turtle Doves for one of the presents. They are beautiful, soft and so cosy and you can lower them on to your wrist whilst driving.
www.turtle-doves.co.uk/collections/fingerless-gloves

Please
or

thenightsky · 04/12/2021 22:24

I'm 62 and would like a year's supply of amazon audio credits.

Or:

a low level jack for my sports car.
a set of good allen keys for car tinkering (up to a 9)

thermal socks without hurty sharp, lumpy seams.

a Hoodie.

One of them big slippers that plug in and keep your feet warm.

Please
or

junebirthdaygirl · 04/12/2021 22:25

In that age bracket
Favouriite presents are flowers and plants and especially big garden pots as l struggle with paying out that money myself but l love them. Get months of enjoyment planting them up..would also love 100 for local good garden centre as could have a great time picking stuff out.
Also the aidea of getting a book or a magazine delivered each month would be a lovely treat. My dd, half my age got that and loved it. Would be a gift that kept on giving for a while which is always exciting.
I
And jigsaws would suit me too as long as not impossible but only a few love these.
I would appreciate a hamper of nice tasty bits too.

Please
or

Kshhuxnxk · 04/12/2021 22:28

Ooh, something nice from House of Bruar - loads of cool cardi's perfect for dog walking but still looking stylish? www.houseofbruar.com/ladies/knitwear/?style=fairisles

Please
or

Muchtoomuchtodo · 04/12/2021 22:29

How about subscription for something?

Flowers, gin, magazine, chocolates or similar? Spread the gift out over a few months.

Please
or

Bouledeneige · 04/12/2021 22:31

I'm nearly 60. I wouldn't want old lady stuff from the National Trust. Definitely not a shawl!

I love scented candles and difuser oils and reeds eg. from White Company, I also love the knitwear at White Company. I also love my cashmere fingerless gloves and woollens from places like Brora, as well as herringbone throws/blankets. Also cool quirky canvas shopping totes. I also like big scarves I can wrap around my neck. I also love long necklaces with a globe or long link necklaces from Missoma.

I have friend subscriptions for the Tate snd RA.

Please
or

peaceanddove · 04/12/2021 22:33

Definitely a real silk pillowcase (not satin). I think that Slip do the best ones, and they do matching eye masks too. My friend has just turned 60 and she is thrilled with the one I bought her. Also Temple Spa do an incredible pillow spray called Quietude which I have used for years.

Or, if she has a dog what about the gorgeous leather leads and matching dog jumpers from Boden?

Please
or

Bouledeneige · 04/12/2021 22:33

I also like perfume like Miss Dior and Cristalle. Amongst others.

Please
or

Bouledeneige · 04/12/2021 22:34

Oh yes I also agree with houseplants. I love cacti and succulents.

Please
or

Sonex · 04/12/2021 22:39

A shawl? Wow, didn't know they still existed outside of Victorian times. Why wouldn't you just put a hoodie or a jumper or a cardigan on?

Anyway, a nice fleece blanket.good for this time of year? A kindle is not much more than £100 if she doesn't already have one.

Please
or

tearinghairout · 04/12/2021 22:50

I'm 62 and I love Chanel no 5 bath stuff and good quality chocs, or some liqueur like Amaretto or cherry brandy. I'd love a subscription to my local indy cinema. If it's a dream gift, I'd say a telescope or a metal detector. I can't wear cashmere or wool and I have enough candles, wellies and houseplants. The books subscription is a good idea too. But I give a lot of money to charities that help people with working animals so if you supported eg The Brooke or Send A Cow in my name I'd be very pleased!

Please
or

MrsPsmalls · 04/12/2021 23:22

I'm approaching 60. My list is
A flower subscription
Amazon voucher,
Afternoon tea voucher,
Lego vase of flower set,
Wasgij jigsaw puzzle
Lidl pistachios
Teddy fleecy bedding
Galler chocolate
Gin liqueur
Revlon one step
Silver Etsy jewellery

Please
or

EdgeOfTheSky · 04/12/2021 23:28

I am early 60s and I would like:

A sweater from Celtic&Co, one of the ones with the fair isle or float stitch yokes

‘Technical’ walking trousers, maybe Rab or Berghaus

A really lovely wool blanket for the sofa

A good quality ice cream maker

A National Art Pass

Please
or

SilverBelle · 04/12/2021 23:30

A magnifying glass on a neck chain.

Please
or

SilverBelle · 04/12/2021 23:31

Oh, and some of those hot chocolate bombes with a gingerbread marshmallow inside.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.