Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Gift for lady in her early 60s

BringBackThinEyebrows · 04/12/2021 14:18

I'd love some ideas on what to buy for a woman in her early 60s. Budget is £100. She prefers staying in since lockdown rather than events or experiences, so maybe something she can use at home. Some info:

-Already has loads of beauty products and knows exactly what she likes
-Has a dog and loves country walks
-Has a tablet she enjoys using
-Likes stuff in National Trust shops
-Enjoys crafts but has tried to declutter her craft supplies this year
-Enjoys reading fiction (especially crime fiction)
-Likes clothes but doesn't treat herself to new clothes often
-Already has all the kitchen gadgets e.g. velvetiser

Any suggestions welcome Smile Especially if you're a similar age and know what you want.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Kummerspeck · 05/12/2021 20:55

@fluffiphlox

I think you need to think about the person not their age. I’m 63 and would be deeply unimpressed by some of these suggestions.

Absolutely agree. I'm 61 and, while I would be grateful for the gift and the thought, would not find some to my taste
I read these threads and all the things others want and can't decide if I am common or just weird (or both Grin)
Please
or

Snailhaterz2 · 05/12/2021 20:27

Early 60-s here. If I'd been lovely to a younger neighbour over the last year or so, I'd be blown away by any present, but might be slightly embarrassed by anything too generous. Something like a half-case of wine would be incredibly welcome as it would last for ages.... Since she's a walker, I'd also second the idea described earlier of an Ordnance Survey Map centred on her postcode - I bought one of those last year for a friend and they offer the opportunity of putting your own photo on the cover - you could do something like adding a photo of her house and yours to make it really special?

Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 05/12/2021 18:52

I really want a cashmere travel wrap/shawl now.

Please
or

Laska2Meryls · 05/12/2021 16:52

.. but that's what they are essentially.. anyway its a matter of taste .. OP I hope you find something lovely for your friend..

Please
or

LiterallyKnowsBest · 05/12/2021 16:46

The words Cashmere travel wrap really don’t carry the same implications as the word shawl!

Please
or

Plopcorn · 05/12/2021 16:46

I gave someone letterbox flowers and bulbs from Bloompost, every Friday for a month. They were greatly appreciated. I’d like some myself actually, there are some really nice ones!

Please
or

Plopcorn · 05/12/2021 16:40

Chanel CHANCE EAU TENDRE CHANCE scented bath tablets and a decent bottle of wine! It’s something I wouldn’t treat myself to.

Please
or

Laska2Meryls · 05/12/2021 16:38

@LiterallyKnowsBest

Thing is, Alcemeg, they really are a signifier of shameful, impotent, immobile old age in the UK. Never more so than at the end of the second year of a pandemic - when even I, who had never owned one before, now reach for a hoody when I get up in the morning.

No self respecting nonagenarian here would thank you for such an item.

Not around here they are not.. Cashmere travel wrap? Fantastic! I use mine snuggled up on the sofa with a book and a glass of wine , wrapped around my neck with leather jacket jeans and biker boots .. on planes, going out, in my campervan ...and yes (did when I was still at work ) also draped over my shoulders in my cold office..... ...
But hey ho we are not all the same.
Please
or

LiterallyKnowsBest · 05/12/2021 16:18

(I obviously mean the cliche of old age - not individual realities!)

Please
or

LiterallyKnowsBest · 05/12/2021 16:16

Thing is, Alcemeg, they really are a signifier of shameful, impotent, immobile old age in the UK. Never more so than at the end of the second year of a pandemic - when even I, who had never owned one before, now reach for a hoody when I get up in the morning.

No self respecting nonagenarian here would thank you for such an item.

Please
or

Alcemeg · 05/12/2021 16:02

Re the outrage about ageism and shawls: I'm in my 60s, and recommended a shawl upthread (albeit a colourful one handmade in the Andes) because... I bloody love shawls! they are amazing. Mind you, I live in a house with no central heating (not in UK). Which is probably what shawls were designed for...

Please
or

Jaxhog · 05/12/2021 13:29

Don't give alcohol without being VERY sure of what she likes. I rarely drink (and then only good gin), and am fed up with being given wine as a present.

Please
or

JustLikea · 05/12/2021 12:51

A box of wine

Please
or

goose1964 · 05/12/2021 11:52

I'm heading rapidly in that direction, I'd love a Kuddly , book tokens, posh chocolates

Please
or

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 05/12/2021 11:40

If someone gave me a foldable Panama hat I’d burst out laughing. So would they!

I’m far too stylish for that!

Please
or

LiterallyKnowsBest · 05/12/2021 10:36

An earl would be a pretty awesome Christmas present.

🎄

Please
or

DeedIDo · 05/12/2021 10:33

I'm in that age group and don't really want any more 'stuff'. Can you take her out somewhere for the day, perhaps at a time in the week when there are not too many crowds, and follow that with a nice earl.

Please
or

RockingMyFiftiesNot · 05/12/2021 07:35

@SilverBelle

A magnifying glass on a neck chain.

I'm hoping this wasn't a serious suggestion?
Please
or

RockingMyFiftiesNot · 05/12/2021 07:33

@irene9

What's wrong with some nice pricey wine, chocolates and some artisan crackers and cheese maybe a couple of half bottles or snipes of champagne. People like treats they wouldn't buy themselves.

I would LOVE this. Bung in some champagne truffles for good measure.
Please
or

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie · 05/12/2021 06:53

Frankly, I'd rather have a shawl than a vibrator. I'd be both bemused and horrified.

Penhaligons taster set?

Although the more I think about this, the more I think Fortnums hamper or flowers.

Please
or

DeadoftheMoon · 05/12/2021 03:38

Though if anyone wants to get me a lavender-scented hand-cream, I'm warming to the idea.

Please
or

DeadoftheMoon · 05/12/2021 03:25

Put the hats and shawls away for twenty years. Give her a good vibrator, or if that's a bit intimate, a voucher for Lovehoney. Or a voucher for perfume. One day last week, I was pleased with my outfit and felt like a teenager - I'm 64. She's alive, she's still a woman, don't write her off. What next? A lavender-scented hand-cream?

Please
or

sue20 · 05/12/2021 02:23

Yeah I don’t like lady either. Nor ageism. But it’s nice you want to recognise your new friendship.

Please
or

irene9 · 05/12/2021 01:49

What's wrong with some nice pricey wine, chocolates and some artisan crackers and cheese maybe a couple of half bottles or snipes of champagne. People like treats they wouldn't buy themselves.

Please
or

Skye99 · 05/12/2021 01:36

I’m around this age. I agree with PinkTonic. I wouldn’t like a shawl or hat. It can be hard to buy clothes for someone unless you know their taste. (Or other things.) Some of us are pretty selective. I’d always like a book token or Amazon voucher, or a flower subscription. Or National Trust membership, if she doesn’t already have it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.