Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Do you wrap presents now and put them under the tree or wait until Christmas eve?

McNuggetsAndMcFlurries · 04/12/2021 13:20

I have always wanted to have a Christmas Tree surrounded by Christmas presents but at my parents house we never brought them out until Christmas morning and then it was all over so quickly. This will be the first Christmas as a parent so I figure that after this year (he'll be just under 4 months old) I won't be able to do it for many years as kids can be sneaky and he'd probably find a way into opening them all before Christmas once he's mobile. Would it be weird to just do it for one year? 🤣🤣

OP's posts:
Please
or

KurtWildesChristmasNamechange · 04/12/2021 18:37

Also dogs...

Please
or

Blossom64265 · 04/12/2021 18:38

I loved seeing the piles of presents under the tree as a child and trying to guess what might be inside. I do the same now.

Plus it’s just easier to wrap and put under the tree than try to hide everything.

Please
or

Bellafrenum · 04/12/2021 18:38

They are all wrapped and in the cupboard. They will go under the tree on Christmas eve once the kids are in bed. Mine are 5 and 3 and having the presents sat there would be torture for them!

Please
or

dementedma · 04/12/2021 18:38

My friend in Scotland also puts the presents on the sofa..unwrapped! Why would you do that? Surely the pleasure is in the unwrapping? I'll probably put ours under the tree next week

Please
or

Bubblecap · 04/12/2021 18:39

I put everything in gift bags that I re use under the tree on Christmas Eve as I am appalling at wrapping presents.

Please
or

stingofthebutterfly · 04/12/2021 18:41

We don't put them under the tree. Christmas morning the kids get theirs in sacks. Any that my husband and I have bought will be hidden in the wardrobe or loft until Christmas day. 5 kids would have far too many presents under the tree, and our toddler would have them all open in a split second.

Please
or

Hodl · 04/12/2021 18:44

We have empty boxes, wrapped, with bows and ribbons, under the tree. Presents come down Christmas Eve once DC have gone to bed, stockings go out when we go to bed. I'm another one who puts the presents on the sofas, my DPs always did this so I've just carried it on. We also have a very inquisitive DDog 😂

Please
or

MovinOnUp · 04/12/2021 19:06

All the actual presents are kept hidden and brought out on Christmas Eve.
I just think it makes it all the more spectacular to come through to on Christmas morning.

However, I keep any pretty gift boxes I am given over the years, Use them to store some decorations and they stay under the tree from when it's put up until they get shoved to the back on Christmas Eve.
Handy for hiding the cables for the lights and the cats and dog haven't destroyed them yet.

Please
or

mam0918 · 04/12/2021 19:17

My tree already has gifts under it... I have 48 gifts (12 per person for 4 people) so Im putting 2 per day under the tree.

No one opens them or peaks (and I have a hyper toddler whose in the room all day long), I never did as a kid either and was always baffled by kids who bragged about that sort of thing... ruining their own Christmas through lack of patients and self control - how depressing.

Stuff brought by Santa arrives on Christmas eve after kids go to bed but gifts under the tree are from family, no reason they shouldn't be out as soon as they are wrapped/given.

Trees look sad and bare with nothing under them.

Please
or

mam0918 · 04/12/2021 19:19

@dementedma

My friend in Scotland also puts the presents on the sofa..unwrapped! Why would you do that? Surely the pleasure is in the unwrapping? I'll probably put ours under the tree next week

Stuff brought by Santa is unwrapped and ready too go here... gifts from people are wrapped up under the tree.

Logically Santa doesn't have time to be wrapping everything.
Please
or

mam0918 · 04/12/2021 19:22

Also Im not Scottish and Santa gifts went on the Sofa.

We don't actually have a sofa now (everyone has their own chair) so they go on the chairs, toyboxes and floor in front of chair.

Please
or

OnTheBenchOfDoom · 04/12/2021 19:25

@FinallyHere and @HodlI get it, I just want it to look pretty for a short while Grin

@FudgeSundae well it is either fake presents or none.

We see all our family etc over Christmas so gifts are given into the hands of the children and us. We don't live close by to pop in and hand over presents before Christmas (we used to live 3 hours away, luckily closer but still a trek) and we like to be with the people who bought the gifts so they can see my children open them and the children get to thank them for the gifts.

I know you are probably thinking why don't you just you just put the presents you bought them under the tree? They are both getting the same thing, the box alone is 86cm deep by 76cm wide and 40cm tall. And there are 2 of them. Now I don't live in a mansion, nor do I have a tree that sits 40cm off the floor. Sadly not all children's "toys" fit under the tree. My sons are 18 and 15 years old.

We have a tradition of putting presents in sacks so nothing is out on display anyway. It is what my parents did and my Mum and I made sacks for my sons together. She sadly died over a decade ago but I still have the sacks and we use them every year.

Please
or

KurtWildesChristmasNamechange · 04/12/2021 19:26

@mam0918

Also Im not Scottish and Santa gifts went on the Sofa.

We don't actually have a sofa now (everyone has their own chair) so they go on the chairs, toyboxes and floor in front of chair.

Same here
Please
or

Yogaandcocoa · 04/12/2021 19:30

Usually as soon as they are wrapped but this is my first year with a child at home too (nearly 6 months) and I'm not sure if it will be practical once he's mobile.

Please
or

beachblob · 04/12/2021 19:36

We have presents under the tree now, I love seeing them collect under there.
The kids (10 & 13 ) know know to fiddle with them as they may not stay there otherwise. They're really good and love the anticipation. We've always done this and the excitement it creates is fab.
My mums bday is 20th so Christmas never started for us as kids until after this. Presents and tree appeared overnight on Christmas Eve!

Please
or

AdventStar · 04/12/2021 19:44

Logically Santa doesn't have time to be wrapping everything

I thought this was part of the job description for elves?

Please
or

Floralnomad · 04/12/2021 20:31

We don’t have presents under our tree as our dog loves unwrapping .

Please
or

lazylinguist · 04/12/2021 20:38

I can't believe some people put fake presents under the tree Grin. I've never heard of that before!

Please
or

Bigoldhag · 04/12/2021 20:42

As a child, presents from Santa didnt come out until after we were in bed but everything wlsw went under the tree as it came in to the house - we loved it as it built suspense and excitement.

As an adult I used to still do it in my own home until I got my young dog and now all my gifts are in bags in the spare room to protect them 😂 I don’t have kids though so most things end up being shipped out of the house in batches before the day, so no great loss.

Please
or

SimpsonsXmasBoogie · 04/12/2021 21:05

I always used to put mine under the tree as soon as if wrapped them, but they often got a bit tatty by Christmas day as I have a cat

Please
or

Cherrytart23 · 04/12/2021 21:08

I put presents I have bought for family/friends under the tree once wrapped but kids presents don't go under untill Christmas eve.

Please
or

gettingolderandgrumpy · 04/12/2021 21:10

For family and friends I’ll put them under tree a week or so before Christmas. For the dc even though adults Christmas Eve just because it’s traditional in my house and also because I don’t have room for all the presents under the tree.

Please
or

gettingolderandgrumpy · 04/12/2021 21:11

I think I leave it till Christmas Eve because one of the best memories as a child is waking up to see your presents so for me it’s my favourite part .

Please
or

Gatehouse77 · 04/12/2021 21:16

We put our tree up on Christmas Eve so can’t be done before. When the children were young we put presents out after they’d gone to bed but they’d hang their stockings up. Because we spread presents out over a few days to stop them getting overwhelmed and give them time to play with something new before the next one was thrust into their hands we’d do it daily - kept the ‘magic’ going longer 🎅

As they got older any presents we received in advance would go under Christmas Eve but we’ve stuck to doing ours late night.

The kids have all said they loved coming down Christmas morning and seeing the presents laid out.

Please
or

escapingthecity · 04/12/2021 21:20

I've started wrapping them but keep them hidden in the cupboard. No way DS would leave them untouched if we put them out now!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.