Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Do you wrap presents now and put them under the tree or wait until Christmas eve?

McNuggetsAndMcFlurries · 04/12/2021 13:20

I have always wanted to have a Christmas Tree surrounded by Christmas presents but at my parents house we never brought them out until Christmas morning and then it was all over so quickly. This will be the first Christmas as a parent so I figure that after this year (he'll be just under 4 months old) I won't be able to do it for many years as kids can be sneaky and he'd probably find a way into opening them all before Christmas once he's mobile. Would it be weird to just do it for one year? 🤣🤣

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bushkin · 04/12/2021 13:55

We put presents to/from other people under the tree. Santa’s presents only arrive on Christmas Eve after kids asleep though

Please
or

Prettypennies · 04/12/2021 13:56

Outgoing presents under the tree so kids won’t be tempted to sneak a look. All presents come out Christmas Eve

Please
or

IgneousRock · 04/12/2021 13:59

Presents that arrive from friends and family go under the tree. Also presents for family who will be here on Christmas Day and given their present in person (as opposed to presents that are posted). Also the DC's presents to me and DH and each other (obviously will be a while before your DC can do that!).

Then the presents to the DC from Father Christmas are wrapped and put under the tree on Christmas Eve after the DC have gone to bed.

Please
or

Soubriquet · 04/12/2021 14:00

We wait until the dc are asleep on Christmas Eve or the temptation would be too much for them

Please
or

ParkheadParadise · 04/12/2021 14:02

@Bratnews

Presents from friends and family always under the tree as they arrive. Parents from Santa on the sofa once kids in bed.

Same here 🎅🎅
Please
or

lazylinguist · 04/12/2021 14:03

I put mine under the tree in advance. Not now though- I don't buy my tree until about 10 days before Christmas! Presents go under it maybe a week before Christmas. I've always done this,even when the dc were little. I also have a cat and a dog. Nobody disturbs them, they just like looking at them in anticipation!

Please
or

justaddcandlelight · 04/12/2021 14:06

This is the first year both of my dc know I'm Santa. So for the first time since having children I'm putting them under the tree as I wrap them. Usually Father Christmas would put them under the tree Christmas Eve night.

Please
or

MadisonAvenue · 04/12/2021 14:09

Christmas Eve just before going to bed. We’ve got a dog who loves opening presents.
Before we had him I used to put fake presents under the tree as soon as it went up in early December, just nicely wrapped different sized boxes.

Please
or

FourTeaFallOut · 04/12/2021 14:10

Christmas Eve, after the kids are in bed and before the mulled wine.

Please
or

00100001 · 04/12/2021 14:11

We put presents for other people under the tree. DS always knew they weren't for us, and he happily rummaged the right ones out for people as they were needed on the lead up.

Please
or

Xtraincome · 04/12/2021 14:16

We put everything under except for gift off FC. We did it purely to make FC seem more realistic. If he brought every single present it would be ridiculous. Now DD6 can read other people's handwriting she enjoys seeing who it's from and makes me add the name to our thank you list 😊

But, we don't have destructive pets nor peeking kids so I think we are able to do it based on that as well.

Please
or

DiamondBright · 04/12/2021 14:22

I put presents under the tree once it's up, including presents for other people until they get delivered /collected. DDs presents go in her sack next to the tree. It looks decorative and it's preferable to having presents hidden around the house.

Stockings get filled Christmas Eve as do the Dog and Cat sacks otherwise the dog guards his.

Please
or

UsernameInTheTown · 04/12/2021 14:25

Playpen round tree and presents, jobs a goodun!

Please
or

ComeAllYeFaithful · 04/12/2021 14:28

Under the tree! Santa comes to fill the stockings Christmas Eve but we have always had the presents we bought and had gifted by others under the tree.

Please
or

MaHBroon · 04/12/2021 14:29

There are no presents out until Late on Christmas Eve.

Please
or

MaHBroon · 04/12/2021 14:33

@ParkheadParadise

Jeezo you and the other poster are the only people ive ever come across who put presents out on the sofa. Is it a Scottish thing?

I will never ever forget what it was like going into the living room and seeing the entire sofa taken up with presents for me and my sister. Some wrapped. Some not. It was magical. Absolutely magical.

Please
or

BestZebbie · 04/12/2021 14:37

We put them out this weekend when we put the tree up - any we haven’t yet bought/wrapped then just get added as we go along. For older children we do clues on the labels!

Please
or

Dinotruxagain · 04/12/2021 14:37

I'd love to put them under the tree (our tree went up at 7:30 this morning!) However, DS is 4 almost 5 so there is no way they won't be opened before the big day. His self control is some what lacking!
We do put the gifts for other people under there as and when though but if he knows his are there I'd either get constantly "but can I just open one mum" in a whining voice or he'd be far too tempted to open then.

Maybe next year for us? 🤔🤣

Please
or

BestZebbie · 04/12/2021 14:38

For the people saying they take up too much space - where do you have the stuff before you put it out? Doesn’t that take space up too, or do you keep everything in the garage/not buy until near the day?

Please
or

FudgeSundae · 04/12/2021 14:41

@OnTheBenchOfDoom

This is where I admit to having "fake" presents under the tree, so the second the tree goes up there are colour co-ordinated presents under the tree. Just empty boxes in different shapes and sizes wrapped in beautiful wrapping paper. I wholly embrace poncetastic.

The real stuff is stashed upstairs until Christmas morning. We just take it down before the children (18 and 15) go downstairs. Stockings are filled on Christmas eve.

Noooooo this is my worst nightmare! I find empty fake presents really sad Grin
Please
or

ParkheadParadise · 04/12/2021 14:44

I don't know @MaHBroon
I've always done it that way when dd1 was young. My mum and dad did it that way as well. My mum had 6 of us we only got a couple of presents from Santa🎅 we all had a pile on the couch and chairs.

Please
or

sunflowerroses · 04/12/2021 15:02

We have always put them around the tree as they are given/wrapped by us. Tree looks much more exciting and used to love looking at them as a child, such amazing anticipation! My children (or dogs) have never opened them before they're given them on Christmas Day at any age, just not been an issue.

Stocking presents obviously appear overnight on Christmas Eve.

Please
or

Minniem2020 · 04/12/2021 15:02

I have presents under the tree for other relatives that I need to hand out but DCs don't appear until Xmas eve(after Santa drops them offGrin)

Please
or

Minniem2020 · 04/12/2021 15:05

Oh and it's the sofas for ours too. I remember me and my siblings choosing which chair /sofa we'd like Santa to leave ours on on Xmas eve

Please
or

Not2daySatan · 04/12/2021 15:20

[quote MaHBroon]@ParkheadParadise

Jeezo you and the other poster are the only people ive ever come across who put presents out on the sofa. Is it a Scottish thing?

I will never ever forget what it was like going into the living room and seeing the entire sofa taken up with presents for me and my sister. Some wrapped. Some not. It was magical. Absolutely magical.[/quote]
My family are Scottish and out presents were always put either side of the couch or a chair (there are 4 of us). I loved it too.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.