Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Worst secret santa gift you've received?

buddhasbelly · 02/12/2021 11:02

Mine was gin infused chocolates, when the whole office knows I'm a recovering alcoholic.

Please tell me your worst secret santa gifts you've received?

My office pal got the chocolates 😂

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mackmama · 02/12/2021 22:29

Novelty Christmas tree earrings and a mini bottle of Baileys 🤮

Please
or

00100001 · 02/12/2021 22:32

Oh this is why i refuse to partake in SS at work anymore ... other people ruin it...1 year I got a used candle and then the year after I got a pack of 50 paper plates Confused

so yeah, i'm the miserable fucker who says "no thanks" when asked about it.

but i will do SS with family

Please
or

HelloDulling · 02/12/2021 22:33

Oven gloves. Crap ones about the thickness of a t-shirt.

Please
or

iusedtoloveopalfruits1 · 02/12/2021 22:36

Some cheap rose scented moisturiser. I was 25 i think i gave it to my gran who loved it

Please
or

iusedtoloveopalfruits1 · 02/12/2021 22:39

I have also had to go and get the lady who dressed as a xmas elf and handed out the presents a ‘thank you’ gift after she was upset about the actual secret santa gift she received. She was a grown ass women and we all isn’t wanted her to shut the F up about it.

Please
or

bippo · 02/12/2021 23:14

@Midge75

Not me but my daughter - who was being bullied by the class anyway - £5 limit, she got someone a toiletry bag with their initial on it, a nice notepad and a llama keyring, because the girl liked llamas. Apparently everyone had decent presents. My daughter got one chocolate coin. Not one of those big ones - just a standard one from a bag. She was so upset. Just kicking her when she was already down.
I got it wrong one year too. I got the boss, £5 limit. Should have just got a bottle of wine. My husband persuaded me to get a pen set and a little Dilbert book. Thinking about it now, it's not a terrible present for an office manager, but I just remember a team mate going on and on all day about what a rubbish present it was. Not sure I managed to keep my blushes in check!

Oh yikes, that makes me feel so sad for
your DD. Says so much about her horrid classmates and how nice she is x
Please
or

MegSpace · 02/12/2021 23:22

A dog related gift, 6 months after my dog had to be put down, slightly awkward as many people in the office knew I no longer had a dog at the time but obviously hadn't filtered through to my secret santa, I still felt like I had to act thankful as it was a thoughtful gift that showed they knew at least something about me and would have been welcomed at the time if my circumstances hadn't changed.

Please
or

Wantubackforgood · 02/12/2021 23:23

@evangeline12

a packet of tesco spicy chicken legs. they were good but wtf

I don't know why but that's made me laugh so muchGrin
Please
or

shreddednips · 02/12/2021 23:30

@NorthernTights

Mine was actually a lovely present, a nice cheese selection, BUT they forgot to tell me to put it in the fridge. We worked shifts so didn’t open them in front of everyone. So off I went home, popped it under the tree, then spent the next 3 days wondering what that godawful smell was!

This reminds me of a gift-related family story, not secret Santa though.

My grandfather used to travel a lot for work and made friends with a man from Canada. The friend came over to visit before Xmas and gave him a gift, which was placed in a cupboard ready to go under the tree and forgotten about for some time. Funny smell developed.

Turned out it was moose pate. It happened before I was born so I can't accurately describe the smell of warm, decomposing moose, but apparently it was appalling.

And then it happened AGAIN with another colleague, put in the cupboard and it turned out to be something involving salmon Envy
Please
or

ilovepixie · 02/12/2021 23:33

Ours was banned after someone got a bottle of urine and a naked photo of the urine giver!

Please
or

shreddednips · 02/12/2021 23:37

@OliveHenry

I was given a game where you put a velcro hat on (a bit like a swimming cap) and then people thrown sponge balls at it/you to try to make them stick.

Strangely I never played it!

My husband got one of these throw the ball at the Velcro hat games for someone as a secret Santa gift a few years ago, I have no idea what came over him when he bought it. It turned out that the recipient had just recovered from being injured when he was hit on the head by a golf ball and it didn't go down well 😬
Please
or

santastolemycat · 02/12/2021 23:39

Before I started the team in the office next
door stopped doing a secret santa as someone went to debenhams and got a whole
load of free beauty samples and gave that as their present. Didn’t spend an actual penny on their person. The cheeky f**cker!

Please
or

sofakingcool · 02/12/2021 23:42

Ah that's lovely @SpookyScarySkeletons . Years ago a work colleague bought me a frame saying "just me and my boy" and took a photo from my social media. I was going through a really hard time with my ex at that point and it was the loveliest gift

Please
or

sofakingcool · 02/12/2021 23:43

@ilovepixie

Ours was banned after someone got a bottle of urine and a naked photo of the urine giver!

Bloody hell Shock
Please
or

CandyCane3000 · 02/12/2021 23:43

Packet of lockets. Out of date giant gobstoppers in a battered box and an empty joop mens wash bag...(I'm a woman who likes girly things really)... I always organise secret santa and put effort in for a sweet simple gift, not everyone in my office gets nice stuff but most do,bit sad but not the end of the world 🤪

Please
or

polkadotpjs · 02/12/2021 23:43

4 cans of Stella. I was furious but acted really pleased. Several people told me the giver was a bitch

Please
or

wendywoopywoo222 · 02/12/2021 23:44

After a couple of awful gifts I offered to run the secret Santa and just kept my own name every year. Always had lovely gifts after that.

Please
or

MrsMagnum · 02/12/2021 23:45

Years ago I hated the taste of alcohol and coffee. Ex mil bought me chocolate liquers and a cafetiere.

Please
or

restbakerest · 02/12/2021 23:47

@wendywoopywoo222

After a couple of awful gifts I offered to run the secret Santa and just kept my own name every year. Always had lovely gifts after that.

Genius!
Please
or

RicherThanYew · 02/12/2021 23:48

I'm on a FB penpal group and we did Secret Santa this year. The sender was supplied with ideas for things that the recipients like. I was given two pieces of A5 paper with santa or a snowman on and a 2 pack of cardboard car air fresheners, I don't drive. Budget was £10, I won't even try to pretend that I am not disappointed. It was optional ffs.

Please
or

Twocrabs30 · 03/12/2021 00:52

A donation to a turkey welfare organisation

Please
or

Sherryandbright · 03/12/2021 00:56

I'm bitter about Secret Santa. I've taken part 3 times over 3 years, 2 different companies.

Year 1. I bought mine (a glamorous young indian woman who'd just had a baby) a bracelet, a trinket box for baby memories and some classy hair accessories. Thankfully she was pleased and I liked her a lot so that's the most important thing.
I got nothing. When I questioned it it turned out the new guy had got me and despite having agreed to take part gave me a blank stare when I asked why he didn't buy me anything.

Year 2, different place, only about 6 of us taking part. I bought my recipient a packet of sobrani cocktail cigarettes (anyone remember those? Colourful good quality expensive cigarettes) as he was a smoker. He got me also, and got me nothing.
We all worked shifts and his excuse was he hasn't been finishing work until late so hadn't had chance. We were all on the same shift pattern. I admit I spat my dummy out and didn't give him his present, instead giving them to my (lovely) boss who to be fair was a very flamboyant dresser probably a lot more suited to them.
Year 3, same place as Year 2, I put a lot of thought into little trinkets for the quirky woman I worked with. I got...
A packet of brown hair dye from home bargains or similar.
I was renowned for having differently coloured hair and some people in the office had had a problem with it (we weren't client facing ) but it was so crass to me. It was a 'real' present secret santa not a joke present secret santa.

Those are the three times I've participated and were about 14 years ago.

Never again!!

Please
or

CrocodilesCry · 03/12/2021 00:58

A good tip if you're picking names for Secret Santa and either a) don't have a clue what to get or b) don't like the person whose name you've picked out, simply say you picked yourself out the hat and choose again Grin

Please
or

SingingSands · 03/12/2021 01:04

A Viz magazine! In a bloody office secret Santa!

Please
or

Sherryandbright · 03/12/2021 01:06

I think it is quite obvious by the 'popped it under the tree' that she hadn't opened it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.