Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Worst secret santa gift you've received?

buddhasbelly · 02/12/2021 11:02

Mine was gin infused chocolates, when the whole office knows I'm a recovering alcoholic.

Please tell me your worst secret santa gifts you've received?

My office pal got the chocolates 😂

OP's posts:
Please
or

Teatotal2 · 02/12/2021 18:36

I once got an awful mug that you turned upside down to become a wine glass. I found it hard to even smile at that & wasn't sure if it was a joke or just really tacky...and I am not a misery (usually😁)

Please
or

Beautiful3 · 02/12/2021 19:05

A handbag holder, that clips onto a table. My friend recieved chocolate penises and was told to eat them?!

Please
or

Marcipex · 02/12/2021 19:07

Not me, but a colleague got an old toy from the baby room we worked in…wrapped up as if it was a real gift.
She cried.
The ‘giver’ went home early with her own nice gift. I know she left early because I went around the building looking for her Angry

Please
or

Changemusthappen · 02/12/2021 19:09

Not me but my 13 year old son received a bar of soap. It was from a hotel in Devon.

Please
or

Twatling · 02/12/2021 19:10

Shoelaces.

Please
or

LivingInABuildingSite · 02/12/2021 19:11

A free flyer from Madame Tussaud’s….

Was promised a ticket to go in whoever I chose. I’d been before and didn’t like it so never asked for my ticket.
Left that office soon after.

He quite clearly totally forgot and grabbed it as he left the tub station that morning.
A bar of cheapie chocolate from the shop round the corner would’ve been preferable.

Please
or

girafferafferaffe · 02/12/2021 19:14

Not me but someone in my office was gifted a small, empty, tin.

We googled the brand and it turns out it was in a set of 3 and they just gave her the one 🤣

That person was henceforth banned from participating.

The worst one I've ever got was .. nothing. They forgot !!

Please
or

girafferafferaffe · 02/12/2021 19:15

Oh and someone got a book 'how to stop smoking and lose weight'

She was fuming!

Please
or

thisplaceisweird · 02/12/2021 19:21

@NorthernTights

Mine was actually a lovely present, a nice cheese selection, BUT they forgot to tell me to put it in the fridge. We worked shifts so didn’t open them in front of everyone. So off I went home, popped it under the tree, then spent the next 3 days wondering what that godawful smell was!

Why would someone need to tell an adult that cheese belongs in the fridge? Or did you not open it?
Please
or

starryeyed19 · 02/12/2021 19:22

My friend got a cat food fork. She had a cat. But wasn't cat mad or anything by any means. It was the oddest gift.

Mine was receiving a book called "Fuck it; the ultimate spiritual way" which was basically a book about caring less about things. Which I definitely took the wrong way and moaned about what an awful gift it was for a whole day like an ungrateful wretch. I remain very sorry about that.

Please
or

Bunnyfuller · 02/12/2021 19:23

But I made my boss a furry cup for her secret Santa after she took delight in her ‘silly mistake’ talking to a senior manager about mould in a mug.

Please
or

thisplaceisweird · 02/12/2021 19:24

Horrified at how sexual some of these are!

Please
or

GrandTheftWalrus · 02/12/2021 19:25

@thisplaceisweird she said she wasn't there for opening and put it under the tree.

Please
or

Unreasonabubble · 02/12/2021 19:27

@thisplaceisweird I can't believe you asked that question 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Please
or

Toomuchtoodo · 02/12/2021 19:28

A book entitled “Dog lover’s guide to pugs”…to a teenage secretary who neither had nor wanted a dog, and had no interest in pugs whatsoever.

She was initially utterly baffled, but then found the randomness quite amusing.

Please
or

Eyeskydry · 02/12/2021 19:29

A pack of value sanitary towels and some tissues (because I cried at work once). I was the only female in the workplace.

Please
or

anxiousstanley · 02/12/2021 19:31

It was a laughing bag. I was so upset I went outside and ran it over with my car. It wasn't laughing after that.

Please
or

UtopiaMist · 02/12/2021 19:42

There was a £5 price limit, and I received 5 boxes of chocolates from a pound ahop.

Please
or

mam0918 · 02/12/2021 19:46

I have only done it 3 times... each was bad:

1. a book on satanism and some kind of talisman... I'm Christian, wear a cross necklace, have a visible cross tattoo and go to church (they seemed genuinely proud of themselves for getting something 'gothic' to 'match me' and explained their 'research' and what it was... except on top of being christian I wear bright pink, have bleached hair and listen to Dolly Parton so I'm not remotely 'goth')

2. A £5 gift voucher, from the store downstairs from the party... where I would never shop and everything cost more than £5 (they had clearly forgotten and bought it on the way into the party... it was a small group of close nit girls so everyone else got lovely thoughtful gifts and went WAY over the £5 spend limit getting a sack of gifts each and I was sat their with my useless voucher).

3. a leaflet from the rack in the work lobby... nothing else needs to be said about this I think (once again I was obviously forgotten until the last minute).
Please
or

Harlequin1088 · 02/12/2021 19:47

Arse soap.

Literally soap with "arse" printed on it so that presumably you could wash your arse with the correct one.

Went straight in the bin on my way home they night.

Please
or

Harlequin1088 · 02/12/2021 19:48

@Eyeskydry

A pack of value sanitary towels and some tissues (because I cried at work once). I was the only female in the workplace.

That's the most twatty thing I've ever heard. I'm sorry you had to endure that.
Please
or

mam0918 · 02/12/2021 19:52

@LivingInABuildingSite

A free flyer from Madame Tussaud’s….

Was promised a ticket to go in whoever I chose. I’d been before and didn’t like it so never asked for my ticket.
Left that office soon after.

He quite clearly totally forgot and grabbed it as he left the tub station that morning.
A bar of cheapie chocolate from the shop round the corner would’ve been preferable.

at least you got offered a ticket... I literally just got a flyer.
Please
or

LivingInABuildingSite · 02/12/2021 19:56

@mam0918 that’s bad.

I don’t think he ever would’ve paid up if I had even found the nerve to ask for a ticket, he was senior to me and a bit of a loudmouth.

Can’t imagine he would’ve handed over the cash somehow, so think he was relying on that.

Some of these are terrible, and sexist, and anti religion and awful. Sorry for everyone on here!

Please
or

TheFutureIs · 02/12/2021 20:01

Calendar for the rival football team. I honestly thought I'd really offended someone (turned out it was just a poorly thought out joke).
PE teacher who supports the other team was delighted to receive it. I still (years later) feel shortchanged

Please
or

Whitefire · 02/12/2021 20:03

@UtopiaMist

There was a £5 price limit, and I received 5 boxes of chocolates from a pound ahop.

To be fair it sounds like you got off lightly.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.