Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The unusual moment you look forward to most?

penguinwithasuitcase · 28/11/2021 10:48

Chatting to a friend this morning and she said that of everything about Christmas, the one moment that she loves most is:

Opening the front door to her extended family when they arrive on Christmas morning –the noise and madness of way too many people crammed into the hallway trying to get their coats off while juggling presents-stuffed-under-arms and kissing the kids at the same time and handing over a bottle of wine to put in the fridge and someone calling "Can you move the car over a bit so I can pull right in?" all at once.

I thought it was just the loveliest thing – that THAT's what she looks forward to most! Not presents, not lunch, not turning on the lights of the tree, but a cramped, chaotic moment of cold air and shoe-wrestling in the hallway Grin

What are your unexpected favourite moments of Christmas?

OP's posts:
Please
or

lonsdaleshorts · 28/11/2021 18:37

Years ago it used to be Noel’s Christmas presents on TV. Then there would be a blockbuster movie premier on the BBC. Last one I remember was Ghost. This must be 30 years ago now. All after a fab day chatting and eating lots of food.

Now I’d say, Christmas Day morning. I’m always awake by 6 ish. Heating on, shower, clean pjs and a coffee. I just put the tv on and wait for DH and the DC. Lights twinkling, Christmas candle burning.

Please
or

ivfbabymomma1 · 28/11/2021 18:42

This year I'm building my 2 year olds son presents and then wrapping them assembled and I really looking forward to DH & I doing that with a bottle of wine.

I'm also looking forward to opening my front front door on the 22nd dec after coming gone from work knowing I don't have to go back to till the 4th

Lovely thread

Please
or

Forgothowmuchlhatehomeschoolin · 28/11/2021 18:42

@Viviennemary

When Christmas is finally over for another year. That's the best bit of the whole sorry fiasco that Christmas has become.

This is mine too but l feel bad for even thinking it
Please
or

Loopielu · 28/11/2021 18:42

Christmas eve, at bed time every year I read my children 'The Night Before Christmas'. We all cuddle up in my bed together. Even the older two at 16 and 14 still love it.

Please
or

spagbog5 · 28/11/2021 18:43

This is such a wonderful thread
Thanks op.
Mine is when the kids (24,22,16 now but done it every year) and dh make us all a glass of bucks fizz and we have smoked salmon bilinis around 11.30 .
The girls had hot chocolate when they were younger but now we all have a glass together and he insists on lining up the glasses and takes a photo of us all with them .
It's such a simple thing but I love the shots from every year together and how life moves on !
I love everything about Christmas but this thread has really made me extra happy
Merry Christmas everyone!

Please
or

Exhausteddog · 28/11/2021 18:49

We often go to my IL between Xmas and New year. We do a fairly long and if I'm honest quite boring muddy walk each year and go to a pub and have crisps or chips sitting outside. Everyone freezes...then we walk back and have a lovely meal in the eve at SIL. But the walk is where you get to catch up with what everyone's doing , and talk in small groups, find out what the adult nieces and nephews plans are etc. And my kids will voluntarily do a freezing walk because they know they will spend time with their cousins and get some chips at the end.Smile

Please
or

maxineputyourredshoeson · 28/11/2021 18:53

@ivfbabymomma1

This year I'm building my 2 year olds son presents and then wrapping them assembled and I really looking forward to DH & I doing that with a bottle of wine.

I'm also looking forward to opening my front front door on the 22nd dec after coming gone from work knowing I don't have to go back to till the 4th

Lovely thread

Me and DH used to put our DD’s presents together on Christmas Eve and we somehow managed to get into a competition with ourselves trying to beat last years time.

Our DD’s don’t have big toys that need putting together anymore but I used to absolutely love our Christmas Eve present races.
Please
or

WheekestLink · 28/11/2021 18:54

@Joystir59

For me there was a moment in time. Dec 10th 2019. Early evening. I'd brought my dearest darling home from hospital following major surgery. She spent a week of very difficult recovery and here she was home. Safe, the house warm, we'd eaten a light simple meal of fish and mash and veg because her digestive system was still delicate. Soft lamplight, we were holding hands on the sofa watching TV, and both of us had tears streaming down our faces. She'd come through an awful time. There was uncertainty, probably more treatment ahead. But we'd arrived in this perfect pause, this perfect moment. Safe, together, Christmas around the corner, hearts full of gratitude, peace, love. I will never forget it. It was to be her last Christmas.

I'm so sorry for your loss, but what a perfect memory to treasure x
Please
or

CloverClove · 28/11/2021 18:55

This thread is so lovely!

Please
or

Exhausteddog · 28/11/2021 18:56

One of my fave moments used to be getting the portable North Pole videos for my kids. Even until he was probably 8 or 9 DS used to answer back to Santa and think it was a 2 way conversation. It was unbelievably cute. DD was far more cynical and sussed it out when she was about 7 or 8 but played along for DS.

Please
or

Cacee3029 · 28/11/2021 19:01

I don't share that thought with your friend. I find large family christmasses overwhelming as does Ds (we are both on the spectrum).

For me it's the decs. I love the twinkling lights. Simple things like checking out the neighbourhood lights and sitting back and looking at my own! Last year as a family we drove around looking at lights several times - there wasn't much else to do and we loved it and the kids loved it. Affordable and enjoyable!

Not the social side at all here 😅

Please
or

Firstruleofsoupover · 28/11/2021 19:02

I find it very nice on a walk on Christmas Day that even in our sometimes overly feisty town we all greet each other with "Merry Christmas" on this day.

Please
or

Smileatthesmallthings · 28/11/2021 19:03

Such a lovely thread.

Since first going to my MIL's at Christmas 13 years ago it's been my job to put the cross in the sprouts. There's always too many because only me and her eat them but she was so happy to finally have someone else to eat them with! Couldn't imagine not spending Christmas with her now.

Please
or

Onionbhajisandwich · 28/11/2021 19:05

I love making the Christmas Eve boxes up. I make them at the beginning of December and sit and think about how excited they will be on Christmas Eve. It took a long time to have our children and every year makes me think just how lucky we are.

Please
or

Plantsandpuddlesuits · 28/11/2021 19:08

There are of course lots of wonderful lovely moments with the children

But for myself a moment I always treasure is with DH whereas so much of Christmas is busy and stressful we don't get much time just the 2 of us

But we have this little routine on Christmas Eve when all the children are asleep so usually near midnight lol we put on carols from kings on the TV and light a candle and just sit in silence listening to the single chorister sing that first line of once in royal David's city. I get a shiver down my spine at the anticipation. It's one of my favourite carols

Please
or

guffaux · 28/11/2021 19:17

it used to be when i arrived at work Christmas Eve at 2pm, knowing i was there until 3pm Christmas Day, having my plan on how to make it as good a day as possible for the people I was looking after.

My role/department has now changed, though I'm still working Christmas, ( child free so I tend to cover for colleagues who have children) i dont spend it with service users.

Christmas is a time of service for me, which makes it feel more like Christmas, IYSWIM?

Please
or

escapingthecity · 28/11/2021 19:17

That moment at Christmas Day church when in the final verse of O Come All Ye Faithful we sing "Yay Lord we greet thee, born this happy morning"

Please
or

ablutiions · 28/11/2021 19:19

@Joystir59 Thanks

Please
or

thisplaceisweird · 28/11/2021 19:24

@Helpimfalling

Why am I crying... god I love this thread thanks OP.

I

Me too
Please
or

Yesthatscorrect · 28/11/2021 19:30

I love Christmas Eve watching The Snowman and then Snowman and the Snowdog with the kids then I put Carols from Kings on and watch it on my own as no one else is interested.

I hate opening presents on Christmas Day as to me that's all about the kids and I wouldn't focus on them so me and H open ours to each other on Christmas Eve after the kids are off the floor.

We open any ones we have already from other people too, so usually his mam will have sent him a completely misjudged present and he will say how little she actually knows and cares about him really. Even after all these years.

Then he will open something lovely from my mam who loves him like a son and it will all be made better. We have a Baileys and usually a bottle of champagne and watch something on telly and go to bed happy.

I know that he only started to enjoy Christmas once he met me and my family so it's a very special time.

Please
or

thisplaceisweird · 28/11/2021 19:32

@OnwardsAndSideways1

I actually have happy memories of my husband's last Christmas in the hospice. They made it all lovely, gave us little pressies, he ate a few spoonfuls of Christmas dinner, in fact, I think one of the children fed him, then the Pastor came around and, together, him and her said the Lord's Prayer together, he remembered all the words. It was quite special. I think he wanted to do one last Christmas and one last New Year and then he was done, and so he was.

I was tearing up at this thread and this post made me bawl like a baby. It must be such a difficult time for you but what a lovely memory for you to treasure.
Please
or

VeganCheesePlease · 28/11/2021 19:35

@Joystir59

For me there was a moment in time. Dec 10th 2019. Early evening. I'd brought my dearest darling home from hospital following major surgery. She spent a week of very difficult recovery and here she was home. Safe, the house warm, we'd eaten a light simple meal of fish and mash and veg because her digestive system was still delicate. Soft lamplight, we were holding hands on the sofa watching TV, and both of us had tears streaming down our faces. She'd come through an awful time. There was uncertainty, probably more treatment ahead. But we'd arrived in this perfect pause, this perfect moment. Safe, together, Christmas around the corner, hearts full of gratitude, peace, love. I will never forget it. It was to be her last Christmas.

This made me cry. You sound like an angel. I'm so glad that your last Christmas together was so special, and so sorry for your loss.
Thoughts to anyone else on this thread who finds Christmas tough. As they say, sending unmumsnetty hugs xx
Please
or

BrieAndChilli · 28/11/2021 19:36

The point on Christmas Eve when ive got everything I need to get, house is sorted for visitors and all the family coming to stay have arrived. It’s like ‘now everything is in place and christmas can proceed’ it’s also the point I normally have a baileys!

Please
or

inawe · 28/11/2021 19:36

I always do my veg prep and make cranberry and bread sauces and stuffing while listening to carols from Kings. Or have it on the tv if I've been working Christmas Eve. My dad always used to watch it too, and would ring up after to make sure I'd made the bread sauce (we were the only ones who ate it!). The beautiful carols always bring a lump to my throat, and now a tear to my eyes remembering my lovely dad. (And I still make bread sauce just for me!)

Please
or

Oblomov21 · 28/11/2021 19:42

Christingle. Christmas Eve. We walk to the early one then go to the pub with another family to eat with a few drinks, then home by 7pm. My fave.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.