Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The unusual moment you look forward to most?

penguinwithasuitcase · 28/11/2021 10:48

Chatting to a friend this morning and she said that of everything about Christmas, the one moment that she loves most is:

Opening the front door to her extended family when they arrive on Christmas morning –the noise and madness of way too many people crammed into the hallway trying to get their coats off while juggling presents-stuffed-under-arms and kissing the kids at the same time and handing over a bottle of wine to put in the fridge and someone calling "Can you move the car over a bit so I can pull right in?" all at once.

I thought it was just the loveliest thing – that THAT's what she looks forward to most! Not presents, not lunch, not turning on the lights of the tree, but a cramped, chaotic moment of cold air and shoe-wrestling in the hallway Grin

What are your unexpected favourite moments of Christmas?

OP's posts:
Please
or

LizzieSiddal · 28/11/2021 17:50

What a fantastic thread, thank you for sharing.

Mine is about 12.30 xmas day, everyone is dressed, (2 Dds, partners and my mum) Lunch is all in the oven and nearly ready, elderly PIL arrive, once coats off and bags unpacked we stand in the kitchen with a glass of prosseco with homemade sloe gin, and have blinis with various toppings, which Dh has lovingly made. This always has to include some with primula cream cheese and chives- don’t ask me why because I don’t know. Grin

It’s just a lovely feeling all gathered round, chatting and laughing.

Please
or

TheChosenTwo · 28/11/2021 17:53

I love Christmas Eve, reading the night before Christmas to my dc. They’re now 17,16 and 10 and I’m sure would rather not listen to it but I force them all into my bed and read it out loud to them - they are so good to humour me! I also wonder every year how many more christmases I’ll be able to do this for. As they get older I’m sure they’ll be around here for a few more years to come but eventually when they move out…
I also love the part on Christmas Day, opening stockings in front of the fire.
And then, when the guests arrive, it’s a flurry of as you said, shoes in the hallway, finding places to put coats, people putting their slippers on, making cocktails at midday, all just lovely really.
I absolutely love Christmas 🎄

Please
or

maddiemookins16mum · 28/11/2021 17:55

When it gets dark on Christmas Eve and watch The Snowman.

Please
or

Nc123 · 28/11/2021 17:56

Decorating the tree with our Christmas jumpers on and Christmas music playing.

Carols from Kings while we wrap presents by the light of the tree.

When my boys wake up and bring their stockings in to unwrap in our bed! We unwrap them all together and it’s the best thing ever.

And best of all, our Christmas Eve lights safari, walking out in the cold frosty air, admiring all the lights, and coming in afterwards to open the Christmas Eve box and the chocolate biscuits.

Please
or

HereticFanjo · 28/11/2021 17:57

Christmas Day walk on the beach, making dinner in my own sweet time!

Please
or

theshadeofgreen · 28/11/2021 18:01

That bit at panto when the kids are totally immersed and taken in by it and you just stare at their happy little faces lit up by the stage Grin

Please
or

Moorlander · 28/11/2021 18:03

We have a local brass band who travel round playing carols on the streets. One year I had been quite ill for 6 months or so. I was standing in the garden in the snow with my DS who was 3 months old in my arms and I just remember hearing the Christmas Carols from across the valley and having a lovely feeling of hope. It was so magical that every time I hear the band now it takes me back. That and a glass of sherry with The Polar Express are definitely top moments!

Please
or

Andoffwego · 28/11/2021 18:05

Going downstairs with my son after he’s opened his stocking presents to open the presents under the tree. I always make sure that the tree lights are on and a certain Christmas song is playing. It’s such a happy moment. His dad and I haven’t been together for a few years now but we still have Christmas Day together. I suspect this might be the last time we do it as exH has a new girlfriend who is kicking off about it. Such a shame as my son really values it and we have a lovely day together.

Other than that, no matter who I’ve been with on Christmas Day, it’s that lovely moment when it’s just got dark outside, you’re full of Christmas dinner, every male in the house is snoozing, and you’re half watching a film, eating Quality Street and having a glass of something, fire on, looking around and feeling so thankful that you all made it another year.

Please
or

TokyoSushi · 28/11/2021 18:06

Having a shower with my fancy new Christmas stuff on Christmas morning, love it!

Please
or

PermanentTemporary · 28/11/2021 18:07

Towards the end of Christmas Eve on the wards, particularly if I'm in the front door type wards (A&E, EAU, ambulatory unit) and getting people seen to give them the best chance of getting home, while knowing I've got the evening and Christmas Day off.

Please
or

Youknownothingsnow · 28/11/2021 18:07

I look forward to when everyone is in bed on Christmas Eve and everything is sorted for the big day! The presents are under the tree and the lights are twinkling. It’s quiet and the anticipation for the next day is so exciting! I light a few candles and have a luxury hot chocolate in peace 😂

Please
or

Vapeyvapevape · 28/11/2021 18:07

Loved it when the Round Table came round the streets with Father Christmas on his sleigh.

Please
or

Andoffwego · 28/11/2021 18:07

When I was away at university, my favourite
moment was when I’d been home for Christmas for a day or two, my mum and her village hour would go carol singing around the village one evening. I would sit in my bedroom with the window slightly open so o could hear the carols, wrapping my presents. Then all the carol singers would come in for mulled wine and sausage rolls and I’d serve all the drinks and nibbles. Such a strange thing for an 18-22 year old to treasure but I loved it.

Please
or

thelegohooverer · 28/11/2021 18:08

Lovely thread! Mine is the way the red traffic lights seem so festive as Christmas gets closer, particularly in the half light of cold, crisp mornings. The other 11 months they just look like the nuisance they are!

Please
or

Nidan2Sandan · 28/11/2021 18:12

Xmas eve walk, over the muddy fields and into a cafe for a fry up with the kids, DH and my best friend. It's always freezing, soggy and utterly grey, but it's a great way to kill some time with overexcited kids and just enjoy time together

Please
or

NumaNumaYay · 28/11/2021 18:16

Watching Bernard and the Genie.
Driving with the kids to the chip shop on Christmas eve and looking at all the Christmas lights we pass.
Kids opening their stockings.

Please
or

Blueducks · 28/11/2021 18:17

Such a lovely thread! Thanks @penguinwithasuitcase. It’s warmed my heart.

Dh and I always seem to wake up before the kids. I love that quiet moment of anticipation. Willing them to wake up so we can see their little faces. I get a lump in my throat thinking about it.

I also love leftover Christmas dinner on Boxing Day. We usually host and I pretty much always cook. I enjoy the Boxing Day meal so much more. Although I love Christmas Day and all the hard work and chaos, Boxing Day somehow feels like a sigh of relief.

Please
or

whojamaflip · 28/11/2021 18:18

Getting up Christmas morning to do the milking with DH. We always start an hour earlier at 5 and it's lovely going down the lane to get the cows up and into the parlour. Always have coffee with whiskey to keep the cold out and Christmas carols on the radio. Then back up home by 7.30 to a cooked breakfast (bless dd1) before I start in the Christmas dinner and dh goes out to feed the rest of the livestock.

It's just so peaceful at that time of the morning and there is huge anticipation of the day ahead. It's lovely just spending time with dh just the 2 of us before chaos descends.

Please
or

FrankGrillosFloof · 28/11/2021 18:19

@Joystir59

For me there was a moment in time. Dec 10th 2019. Early evening. I'd brought my dearest darling home from hospital following major surgery. She spent a week of very difficult recovery and here she was home. Safe, the house warm, we'd eaten a light simple meal of fish and mash and veg because her digestive system was still delicate. Soft lamplight, we were holding hands on the sofa watching TV, and both of us had tears streaming down our faces. She'd come through an awful time. There was uncertainty, probably more treatment ahead. But we'd arrived in this perfect pause, this perfect moment. Safe, together, Christmas around the corner, hearts full of gratitude, peace, love. I will never forget it. It was to be her last Christmas.

I’m glad you have this beautiful memory to cherish @Joystir59
Please
or

DublinDoris2000 · 28/11/2021 18:20

I come from a coal mining area and grew up playing in the local brass band, with my whole family.. My favorite Christmasy thing was playing carols in the local towns and villages while people we shopping. Freezing but so atmospheric. Even when I moved away I used to borrow an instrument and tag along to the carolling.

Please
or

LizzieSiddal · 28/11/2021 18:20

Joystir Flowers

Please
or

Justmuddlingalong · 28/11/2021 18:21

Going out for a mid morning walk along the prom on Christmas day. Seeing kids out with new bikes, dolls prams etc always gets me a bit emotional.

Please
or

TheChosenTwo · 28/11/2021 18:29

This has also reminded me that dh and I are always first to wake up! Last year, when we had no Christmas guests (like many others), we had gone to town and totally spoilt the kids rotten with presents. We usually go over the top but this really took the biscuit (no regrets either). Anyway, dh had chosen ds’s main present from us as it was something he had had as a kid and knew ds would love it. We were really excited about seeing him opening it, it had been in the shed for a few weeks. When we woke up in the morning we were laid in bed like the most excited children, “did you hear someone?” “No, did you?” “Do you think we should wake them up?” “No, I think we should let them sleep.”
“Do you think he’s going to love it?” “Yes dh. You chose well.” “Do you think he’ll let me play with it too?” Grin all in hushed tones, really made us both laugh!

Please
or

ShirleyPhallus · 28/11/2021 18:30

What a gorgeous thread, I could see this in classics already

For me, my favourite time is after lunch / presents etc, playing board games with some cheese and a port, that nicely stuffed, slightly tipsy feeling of peace and love

Please
or

gettingolderandgrumpy · 28/11/2021 18:30

I absolutely love putting all the presents out on Christmas Eve before I go to bed, and looking at them thinking yes this is it all those weeks of planning/ shopping it’s here .

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.