Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The unusual moment you look forward to most?

penguinwithasuitcase · 28/11/2021 10:48

Chatting to a friend this morning and she said that of everything about Christmas, the one moment that she loves most is:

Opening the front door to her extended family when they arrive on Christmas morning –the noise and madness of way too many people crammed into the hallway trying to get their coats off while juggling presents-stuffed-under-arms and kissing the kids at the same time and handing over a bottle of wine to put in the fridge and someone calling "Can you move the car over a bit so I can pull right in?" all at once.

I thought it was just the loveliest thing – that THAT's what she looks forward to most! Not presents, not lunch, not turning on the lights of the tree, but a cramped, chaotic moment of cold air and shoe-wrestling in the hallway Grin

What are your unexpected favourite moments of Christmas?

OP's posts:
Please
or

hiredandsqueak · 28/11/2021 16:59

@MintyGreenDream I know it's not very mumsnet but there are no recriminations and the dc love him so we have Christmas together for their benefit really and anyway he walks the dog and does all the clearing up after Christmas lunch!

Please
or

TheWeeDonkey · 28/11/2021 16:59

@Helpimfalling

Why am I crying... god I love this thread thanks OP.

I

Same. God I can't wait for my boy to come home
Please
or

Vicliz24 · 28/11/2021 17:05

The moment you realise all the shops have closed and you can't buy anything else . That's my favourite moment of the whole thing . You can exhale and say if I haven't got it now we can live without it .( please make sure you have your dinner bought before the exhale)

Please
or

MintyGreenDream · 28/11/2021 17:08

@hiredandsqueak I think its lovely

Please
or

Vapeyvapevape · 28/11/2021 17:08

The chaos of Me , my sister and brother in law in the kitchen dishing up the dinner, randomly shouting out to people asking if they want sprouts or stuffing, then bringing the plates into the dining room all sitting down and saying cheers Happy birthday to my Mum.

Please
or

GetOffTheTableMabel · 28/11/2021 17:13

After a busy Christmas Day with a huge lunchtime turkey roast, my Dad and I take orders for sandwiches. There’s usually about 10 of us and some want stuffing, some want cranberry sauce, some want ham not turkey etc, etc. It’s quite a process but we make them together and chat and pour the wine.
He died suddenly in October and this will be the first time I have to make the sandwiches without him. I think it’s going to be the hardest bit of my first Chri without him.

Please
or

PinkyPromises · 28/11/2021 17:14

Oh I wasn't ready for that turn. Making sandwiches- so sweet. Much love x

Please
or

Imarriedaviking · 28/11/2021 17:14

When it's all over !
My son died at Xmas, so a painful time .

Please
or

Bluetrews25 · 28/11/2021 17:19

Thank you, all of you, for sharing your precious memories.

I like the way there is that low, strong, blinding sun shining through the dining room window every Christmas day as I drink a silent toast to absent friends.
I used to like counting the Christmas trees we could see in people's windows when driving to/from Granny's with DSis, DM and DF way back in the 70s, before outdoor decorations were such a thing.

Please
or

Sellingstress · 28/11/2021 17:23

Ooh lovely thread!

Taking the crispy bacon off the cooked Turkey popping it on paper towel, a bit each, and that’s when the fizz starts too.

Trip to the farm shop on Christmas Eve - 7am, dark, everyone excited and happy in queue to pick up said Turkey

I also love having the extended family here for lots of reasons, but when the evening arrives and the two grans want to bathe the kids and me and DH put our feet up, crack open the quality street and have a baileys - all ready for when they come down.

Love it all!!!

Please
or

RoseMartha · 28/11/2021 17:25

That moment when you meet up with your family and just feel you are where you are meant to be, 'home'.

Please
or

JamieNotJames · 28/11/2021 17:28

Walking in to my parents house on Christmas Eve and immediately smelling the roast pork for the pork sandwiches we have that evening.
My dad will hand me a beer and my Mam will be making a trifle for the next day for the non Christmas pudding eaters.
I'm 42, married with two kids and have never not woken up Christmas morning and my parents house!

Please
or

Onlyabean · 28/11/2021 17:28

Waking up with all my kids under the one roof as they come home like homing pigeons.

When I visit my in laws after a day of doing everything and my dear MIL insists that I sit down and rest up while she makes me a hot drink (and one beautiful Christmas night she sat with my restless legs in her lap and massaged them.)

Please
or

Tiredmummyof3 · 28/11/2021 17:30

Gosh I'm in tears, what a lovely thread!

My favourite bit has to be everyone finding their stocking and opening them on our bed. Our eldest son (21) only has Christmas day off work the whole of Christmas but he is travelling home Christmas eve to make sure he is here for that bit! Just the 5 of us before chaos starts with everyone descending on us.

Please
or

Bloodybridget · 28/11/2021 17:32

I love lots of things about Christmas; one of my favourite moments is when I've finished decorating the tree (playing CDs of carols and Christmas music), switch on the lights, and invite DP to admire it. And then every morning when I come downstairs to the dark room, I turn the tree lights on immediately and feel so pleased to have it.

Please
or

TheWeeDonkey · 28/11/2021 17:32

@Imarriedaviking

When it's all over !
My son died at Xmas, so a painful time .

💐 I'm so sorry.
Please
or

m030978 · 28/11/2021 17:34

EVERY SINGLE YEAR!

Having to remind my boy that its Christmas morning and there 'might' be presents on the end of his bed. Wink

He's 13, has had a stocking on the end of his bed every single year, still forgets, every single year!

Please
or

RedToothBrush · 28/11/2021 17:34

I love that bit of the day between lunch and the evening tv when everyone can go for a nap / go play.

I love October when the garden centres start to put the decorations up and just looking through them all.

And I love it when you can have that first mince pie and mulled wine.

I have a fondest for the Last Drive home from work or when you are driving to visit relatives on Christmas Eve or Day and you stick on the radio and its wall to wall christmas songs - and especially Driving Home for Christmas. Its that almost relief feeling that there's no more pressure and you are 'at the relaxing bit'. It doesn't matter if there is a traffic jam cos the radio is good. Or you have the opposite and the roads are unusually clear which is just joyous in its own right. Its just bizarrely special.

Wrapping presents whilst everyone is out. And the joy of wrapping the very last present!

Please
or

RedToothBrush · 28/11/2021 17:36

Also.

Elf.

Please
or

NaturalBlondeYeahRight · 28/11/2021 17:36

Coming home from work after you’ve decorated house and walking in to beautiful lights, scents and Xmas clutter. Just amazing on these long winter nights. Pub with friends at Christmas time

Please
or

Lowlifeinhighplaces · 28/11/2021 17:38

Carols from Kings on Christmas eve, I sing along to everything, I sound wonderful to me....I cannot hold a tune in a bucket but my DH always joins in...

Then the turkey is prepped, I have no dealings with this as DH is a fantastic cook, then the same as every year I am chased with the turkey neck around the kitchen and living room.......placed in a very un turkey neck position...over 40 years we have done this and how I laugh every single time!

Please
or

OnwardsAndSideways1 · 28/11/2021 17:38

I actually have happy memories of my husband's last Christmas in the hospice. They made it all lovely, gave us little pressies, he ate a few spoonfuls of Christmas dinner, in fact, I think one of the children fed him, then the Pastor came around and, together, him and her said the Lord's Prayer together, he remembered all the words. It was quite special. I think he wanted to do one last Christmas and one last New Year and then he was done, and so he was.

Please
or

Aposterhasnoname · 28/11/2021 17:39

Finishing work early on Christmas Eve and playing driving home for Christmas on the commute. Then putting on Christmas jumpers, insisting DH does the same, (he pretends to hate it, but secretly loves it) then going to the local pub which is all roaring log fires and carols in the background.

Please
or

gemdrop84 · 28/11/2021 17:47

It might sound a little silly but when everyone goes to bed on christmas eve, I like to take a minute looking at the tree, just before I turn the lights off, thinking of both our mums and my grandparents who are no longer with us. I wish them a merry christmas, wherever they are, usually have a little cry, then up to bed.

Please
or

JacquelineCarlyle · 28/11/2021 17:48

This is such a lovely thread.

Mine is going to church on Christmas Eve, followed by going out for dinner and then opening the Christmas Eve box when we get home. We all put on our new PJs and read The Night before Christmas lying on top of the bed.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.