Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The unusual moment you look forward to most?

penguinwithasuitcase · 28/11/2021 10:48

Chatting to a friend this morning and she said that of everything about Christmas, the one moment that she loves most is:

Opening the front door to her extended family when they arrive on Christmas morning –the noise and madness of way too many people crammed into the hallway trying to get their coats off while juggling presents-stuffed-under-arms and kissing the kids at the same time and handing over a bottle of wine to put in the fridge and someone calling "Can you move the car over a bit so I can pull right in?" all at once.

I thought it was just the loveliest thing – that THAT's what she looks forward to most! Not presents, not lunch, not turning on the lights of the tree, but a cramped, chaotic moment of cold air and shoe-wrestling in the hallway Grin

What are your unexpected favourite moments of Christmas?

OP's posts:
Please
or

RaisedByPangolins · 28/11/2021 15:20

Me too Joy, and the loveliest thing is that none of the favourite bits include anything expensive - it just shows that the most enjoyable part is the tradition and routine of doing it the same way every year. Whatever that looks like. And why it was so hard last year not to be able to do that for many of us.

My favourite part is that little lull in the morning after the DCs (now teens, but still up at the crack of Dawn!) have opened all their gifts. The lunch is cooking and we’ve had breakfast, so it’s just a bit of time to chill with a coffee and watch them reading/playing with/building whatever they’ve been given.

Like a Pp there is also a sense of relief once it’s all over and you can get all the decorations back in the box and tidy up after all the upheaval, I can definitely see that POV, but I do love all of the preparations that come before that point too.

Please
or

maxineputyourredshoeson · 28/11/2021 15:20

Christmas morning when the DD’s see their presents for the first time and then the FaceTime from my dad who lives in Canada and is 7hrs behind us. I love that he can still be part of the madness of Christmas morning despite living so far away. The DD’s stop and show him each and every present they open. My dad always wears a Christmas jumper and Father Christmas hat whilst drinking hot chocolate.

Going to my mums on Christmas morning for breakfast, she has everyone’s presents in piles next to ‘their’ seat - just like when I was little.

After the DD’s have gone to bed and sitting with DH on the sofa and the warm feeling of we did it.

Please
or

RaisedByPangolins · 28/11/2021 15:21

Oh that’s beautiful Penguin.

I remember one year when my dad was terminally ill and I wrote out a little card for everyone in my family with a wish for each of them. My mum cried and said that Christmas had been missing a little magic this year and that I’d just provided it.

Please
or

RockPaperScissorLizardSpock · 28/11/2021 15:26

Incywinceyspider

That moment when Santa has been and I'm sitting on the sofa with just the tree lights on and all the wrapped presents laid out. It's a really lovely feeling

I came on here to say this exact same thing. All of this whilst listening to midnight mass on the tv Smile

Please
or

TillyTopper · 28/11/2021 15:26

Before Christmas when we all put decorations up together (DH, 2 late teens and me) then when we turns all the lights on it starts to feel like Christmas.

Please
or

penguinwithasuitcase · 28/11/2021 15:30

@Joystir59 that's precious. How lucky you both were to have one another.

OP's posts:
Please
or

IcelandicCabin · 28/11/2021 15:33

DH has awful insomnia so he is usually flaked out about 9 pm. I like going downstairs, nibbling on the things we left for Santa, drinking a large glass of wine in front of the fire and just preparing mentally for the days ahead.

Please
or

Lovemusic33 · 28/11/2021 15:48

The last day of school, when the kids get home and we can start celebrating 😀.

Please
or

languagelover96 · 28/11/2021 15:48

Putting up a wreath. Putting up a tree. Watching a Xmas film with some red wine.

Please
or

5thnonblonde · 28/11/2021 15:52

Unwrapping the decs for me. Going to a carol service and having a good old cry missing my mum- she loved the carols.

I kind of prefer Christmas Eve and the anticipation to the clamour of the big day!

Please
or

DrivingHomeChristmas · 28/11/2021 15:54

When I was a child, we would watch Jason and the Argonauts on Christmas Eve ( no idea why it was shown every Christmas Eve!) and we would be allowed to start the christmas sweets ( Terry’s Neopolitans for me). I always recreate this now on the day after everyone finishes school. They don’t make neopolitans any more so I use those little Green and Black’s bars. That for me is the start of Christmas.

Please
or

MeMumI · 28/11/2021 15:57

I love everything about Christmas but my favourites are...

• Selecting the tree and the Christmas decorations for the year

• Putting the tree up with all the excitement from the year

But best of all, I love Christmas Eve. Every year, we meet friends down the pub and a whole load of us go down every year. Love the feeling when we have tidied the house, preparations are all done and to kick Christmas off with our friends.
Please
or

CoodleMoodle · 28/11/2021 16:03

Mine are all Christmas Eve!

When DM arrives on Xmas Eve and we lock the door - that means it's Christmas.

Seeing the DC in their new PJs. Not Christmas specific (they'll wear them all winter) but brand new that night. They've got matching tartan button up ones this year and it's going to be so cute! They're 7&3 so might not get away with it much longer...

Getting the kids to bed, and beginning the mission of bringing the still hidden presents down. This usually involves a Big Bag. Then setting everything up under the tree, and building anything that needs building in advance (this year it's a scooter and a Hot Wheels garage - they're DH's jobs).

Debating with DM/DH who's gets the biscuit and who has to nibble the carrot. One year it was a tomato and DH refused point blank!

And then finally snuggling up in bed and scrolling through the #Duvetknowitschristmas tag on Twitter for far, far too long. That feels like the calm before the storm and I look forward to it every year.

Please
or

DeadoftheMoon · 28/11/2021 16:07

Nine Lessons and Carols, whilst cooking the turkey etc on Christmas Eve.

Please
or

VeganCheesePlease · 28/11/2021 16:08

This year my little nephews are having Christmas with us and I am so excited to see the day through their eyes!
I also love doing last minute shopping or a trip round the Christmas Market with my granny. I love her so much and I'm so lucky to still have her in my life.
We have two very good friends who have recently moved here from England too, and they are at a loose end on what to do for Christmas eve so they are likely going to join us for a cheeky glass of wine and some Christmas music the night before with DH's family so I'm looking forward to that too!

Please
or

SpeckyWithTheGoodHair · 28/11/2021 16:11

Carols from Kings at three o'clock on Christmas Eve, with a few sherries.

Please
or

hiredandsqueak · 28/11/2021 16:12

I think my favourite bit is when the adult dc and exh leave to go home taking presents and leftovers and I sit with dd and the dog in front of the TV knowing the hard work was worth it. Dd and I invariably flop down and sit in comfortable silence until bedtime.

Please
or

Mamamamasaurus · 28/11/2021 16:22

NY day - we always go out for a drive, usually the seaside. Nothing is open and hardly anyone on the beach - t'is lovely!

Please
or

PinkyPromises · 28/11/2021 16:30

@CoodleMoodle

Mine are all Christmas Eve!

When DM arrives on Xmas Eve and we lock the door - that means it's Christmas.

Seeing the DC in their new PJs. Not Christmas specific (they'll wear them all winter) but brand new that night. They've got matching tartan button up ones this year and it's going to be so cute! They're 7&3 so might not get away with it much longer...

Getting the kids to bed, and beginning the mission of bringing the still hidden presents down. This usually involves a Big Bag. Then setting everything up under the tree, and building anything that needs building in advance (this year it's a scooter and a Hot Wheels garage - they're DH's jobs).

Debating with DM/DH who's gets the biscuit and who has to nibble the carrot. One year it was a tomato and DH refused point blank!

And then finally snuggling up in bed and scrolling through the #Duvetknowitschristmas tag on Twitter for far, far too long. That feels like the calm before the storm and I look forward to it every year.

My kids are early teens and the pyjamas are a part of our tradition now. They bloody love them!

We also read an Enid Blyron book called Father Xmas and Belinda. It belonged to my mum as a child.

It's err rather problematic but gives us a chance for some education!
Please
or

30whatacrock · 28/11/2021 16:38

@SnoopsCaliforniaRoll

My lovely DMIL showing off the cooked turkey as it is taken out of the oven, before it is rested. Everyone has to file into the kitchen, almost ceremonially, to have the bird presented, we all make the approving noises of appreciation etc, as the turkey always looks and smells beautiful. My DH's family have apparently done this forever! My DMIL's turkey is always absolutely delicious and she is always so proud of her handiwork (she is a wonderful cook and it's everyone's way of appreciating her effort), I love this little ceremony on Christmas Day! Grin

That’s so lovely. And so nice to hear of someone appreciating their mother in law. She sounds great.
Please
or

MintyCedric · 28/11/2021 16:42

Christmas Eve is the day that DD17 and I spend together just the two of us and I love it.

We have a great relationship and it's the most chilled out day of the festive season for us.

I do also really enjoy cooking Christmas Dinner!

Please
or

MintyGreenDream · 28/11/2021 16:46

Waking up with dh stupidly early in the dark,laid there debating on if we should wake ds up or leave him for a bit longer.

When ds opens his stocking on our bed,.It's a tradition from when i was little that I've passed on to him.

Please
or

mumonthehill · 28/11/2021 16:50

When we are sat at the table and about to eat and my dad continues the family toast tradition. He says, “ may these be the worst of our days”. It is so true, sat with food and family.

Please
or

MintyGreenDream · 28/11/2021 16:51

@hiredandsqueak having Xmas with your exH is very mature and unmumsnetty!

Please
or

lazylinguist · 28/11/2021 16:51

There's an early bit I love - getting the tree about 10 days before Christmas, decorating it with the dc, then all settling down with the tree lights on and starting the annual Box of Delights re-watch.

The other best bit is all the extended family sitting down around the tree, all dressed and breakfasted to open the presents.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.