Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The unusual moment you look forward to most?

penguinwithasuitcase · 28/11/2021 10:48

Chatting to a friend this morning and she said that of everything about Christmas, the one moment that she loves most is:

Opening the front door to her extended family when they arrive on Christmas morning –the noise and madness of way too many people crammed into the hallway trying to get their coats off while juggling presents-stuffed-under-arms and kissing the kids at the same time and handing over a bottle of wine to put in the fridge and someone calling "Can you move the car over a bit so I can pull right in?" all at once.

I thought it was just the loveliest thing – that THAT's what she looks forward to most! Not presents, not lunch, not turning on the lights of the tree, but a cramped, chaotic moment of cold air and shoe-wrestling in the hallway Grin

What are your unexpected favourite moments of Christmas?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Incywinceyspider · 28/11/2021 14:03

Ooh there are a few.

Trimming the edges of the yule log before I roll it up on Christmas Eve and passing the warm leftover bits around.

Sitting down for tea on Christmas Eve. This has been a defining moment ever since I was little and my Nana came to stay. She always arrived at teatime and Christmas started properly then.

That moment when Santa has been and I'm sitting on the sofa with just the tree lights on and all the wrapped presents laid out. It's a really lovely feeling.

Please
or

evilharpy · 28/11/2021 14:06

When I lived with my parents I always looked forward to when they brought home the Radio Times, going through and marking all the Christmas programmes I wanted to watch (Top of the Pops obviously) and hoping that the Christmas Day film would be Wizard of Oz. We no longer have live TV (streaming only) and it's just not the same without the Radio Times!

Also from when I was younger, the endless stream of visitors, family and friends turning up with presents and the tin of Roses being handed round, and one of my mum's friends bringing her home made mince pies that she put a thin smear of icing on top of - she died a good few years ago and her mince pies have never been equalled.

Please
or

Oftenithinkaboutit · 28/11/2021 14:07

@penguinwithasuitcase

Chatting to a friend this morning and she said that of everything about Christmas, the one moment that she loves most is:

Opening the front door to her extended family when they arrive on Christmas morning –the noise and madness of way too many people crammed into the hallway trying to get their coats off while juggling presents-stuffed-under-arms and kissing the kids at the same time and handing over a bottle of wine to put in the fridge and someone calling "Can you move the car over a bit so I can pull right in?" all at once.

I thought it was just the loveliest thing – that THAT's what she looks forward to most! Not presents, not lunch, not turning on the lights of the tree, but a cramped, chaotic moment of cold air and shoe-wrestling in the hallway Grin

What are your unexpected favourite moments of Christmas?

Shudder
I don’t like that bit!

Thankfully no more. As I’m a single parent, so me and me two. Our little gang. Stockings, breakfast, walk, games, lunch, walk, film, leftovers, games.

I love every bloody minute without exception.
Please
or

cultkid · 28/11/2021 14:07

The tray of snacks we eat together whilst the dinner is cooking
We didn't get to do it last year

Fingers crossed we are all together this year

Zzz

Please
or

mynameiscalypso · 28/11/2021 14:09

Possibly the most random one. I love taking the bin out at the end of Christmas Day. We live in a flat so our bin is out the back and there's something magical about being outside at night in the cold after a long day of eating and drinking and peering in other people's windows as their celebrations wind down.

Please
or

SingingSands · 28/11/2021 14:12

I'm always last up to bed on Christmas Eve after tidying up and setting out the presents. My favourite moment is just before I go up, I take a photo of the room with the twinkly lights and presents and savour the anticipation of what's to come in the morning. I don't know why I do this, but I love it!

Please
or

actiongirl1978 · 28/11/2021 14:12

Boxing day, when the stress and strains are all over for another year.

I love boxing day lunch when I can drink too much red wine and spend the afternoon reading a new book.

Please
or

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername · 28/11/2021 14:21

@Bigoldhag

When i lived at home, it was the sound of my mum getting up at 4am to put the turkey on - think I only started hearing her in my teens and only then I appreciated how little sleep she used to get christmas eve to make it magical for us!

Xmas Shock Did you have the turkey for breakfast?!
Please
or

ArblemarchTFruitbat · 28/11/2021 14:24

Top of the Pops obviously

Oh, yes. 1980s Christmas afternoons - Eagerly waiting for my favourites
songs to come on, while my grandpa in the background muttered about what a load of rubbish it all was Xmas Grin .

Please
or

Candlesonthetable · 28/11/2021 14:25

We have a CD of Christmas carols, the first of which starts with a dramatic chord (I am not musical, it might be called something else), when that track is played and that chord sounds that's when Christmas begins and I feel Christmassy. The children have been badgering me to play it this weekend, because they know I love to put it off as long as possible in a sort of delightful anticipation (we generally play it just before we put the first bauble on the tree). They can play all the other music whenever they like, but when that track is played for the first time I get such a thrill and I remember all the happy memories of Christmasses past. I often shed a little tear at that point so I like it to be played at a moment when I can truly appreciate it.

Please
or

Antiqueanniesmagiclanternshow · 28/11/2021 14:32

@Viviennemary

When Christmas is finally over for another year. That's the best bit of the whole sorry fiasco that Christmas has become.

Do you think this is appropriate?
I understand that Christmas is hard for lits of people but to deliberately come on to such a sweet thread to post that seems really unnecessary.
Please
or

penguinwithasuitcase · 28/11/2021 14:40

@mynameiscalypso

Possibly the most random one. I love taking the bin out at the end of Christmas Day. We live in a flat so our bin is out the back and there's something magical about being outside at night in the cold after a long day of eating and drinking and peering in other people's windows as their celebrations wind down.

Gosh yes!

It's like a big communal exhale into the quiet...
OP's posts:
Please
or

Luzina · 28/11/2021 14:48

Eating cheese and biscuits for dinner with presents and wrapping paper all over the living room floor. And shouting “you can’t come in!” When anyone tries to open the door…

Please
or

Oftenithinkaboutit · 28/11/2021 14:57

What’s your Christmas look like OP?

Please
or

Oftenithinkaboutit · 28/11/2021 14:58

Nosy!

Please
or

indecisivewoman81 · 28/11/2021 14:59

I love this thread

My favourite thing about Christmas is early in the morning when I hear the children wake up and the rustle of their stockings when they realise Santa has been.

Both come running into our rooms an we curl up together as a family while they unwrap the presents inside their stockings.

Please
or

Drbrowns · 28/11/2021 15:08

Listening to O holy night, at midnight mass. Haven’t been able to make it the last few years between covid and other things and won’t this year either because of covid but hoping things will be better next year.

Please
or

ChoccyJules · 28/11/2021 15:09

I used to love driving over to my Aunt and Uncle’s on Christmas morning to drop off their presents and always without fail seeing at least three children (and parents) out on the pavement with their new bikes along the route to their town.
Sadly they have both passed away so now we get to be lazy but I miss that mid-morning trip. Probably did it for 25 years.

Please
or

SylviaTrench · 28/11/2021 15:09

Walking the dog on the beach, something we do anyway twice a day every day, the dog doesn't know it's Christmas so he'd be annoyed if we didn't go.
It's 40 minutes or so of peace.

Please
or

Joystir59 · 28/11/2021 15:09

This thread has me weeping. I want every single human being to feel these moments of wellbeing, happiness, love. Love.

Please
or

ToffeeNotCoffee · 28/11/2021 15:14

The sweet smell of tinsel and dust on the Christmas decorations when getting them out of the box for the first time. Knowing they have not seen the light of day for nearly a year.

Any one else sniff the tinsel straight from the box ?

There's plenty of lovely smells at Christmas, usually food related.

Please
or

Joystir59 · 28/11/2021 15:16

For me there was a moment in time. Dec 10th 2019. Early evening. I'd brought my dearest darling home from hospital following major surgery. She spent a week of very difficult recovery and here she was home. Safe, the house warm, we'd eaten a light simple meal of fish and mash and veg because her digestive system was still delicate. Soft lamplight, we were holding hands on the sofa watching TV, and both of us had tears streaming down our faces. She'd come through an awful time. There was uncertainty, probably more treatment ahead. But we'd arrived in this perfect pause, this perfect moment. Safe, together, Christmas around the corner, hearts full of gratitude, peace, love. I will never forget it. It was to be her last Christmas.

Please
or

TheWayTheLightFalls · 28/11/2021 15:17

Walking home from the church after the crib service - the church is at the top of our street and I love pointing out all the decorations on the houses we pass on the way down. Then we order a massive Chinese takeaway (we’re Jewish Smile).

Please
or

HaroldSteptoesHorse · 28/11/2021 15:19

I’ve no family except my DCs, Xmas is what you want it to be. Some relish their families others hate them. I love the unexpected gift of bubble bath I get every year from my kids. I always looked shocked and pleased. What I’d really like is another duvet so then I’d have 3 on my bed and be super toasty. I shall but my own.

Please
or

penguinwithasuitcase · 28/11/2021 15:19

Ha! @Oftenithinkaboutit not nosy at all - it's good internet manners to be the first to go and I didn't, did I?!

It's very specific to us and a bit self-centred –but when DP, DSS and I had our first Christmas together 4 years ago, I was having a bit of a tough time knowing how and where I fit in. I have none of my own family in this country (I'm outside the UK) and they were such a close unit, I struggled not to feel as though I was intruding on their day.

At some point that first Christmas I asked DSS if he could have one wish for the next year, what it would be. He told me something funny like no school on Fridays (he was 10).

As part of a project I was crafting, I had a few tiny glass bottles with corks in the top, so I got 3 of them out and we all wrote a wish for the year to come on a little piece of paper, put them inside a bottle each, corked them, and hung them on the tree.

The next year we got our decorations out to do the tree, and when DSS saw the bottles he jumped to grab them and read what he had written the year before.

Now it's something he reminds us all about every year, and it just feels so special that he cares and enjoys this little tradition he and I created together. It makes me feel like I really am 'part of the family'.

So my favourite moment now is when we hang our wish-bottles on the tree. DSS always gives me a squeeze and I swallow a big lump in my throat and feel very lucky.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.