Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The unusual moment you look forward to most?

penguinwithasuitcase · 28/11/2021 10:48

Chatting to a friend this morning and she said that of everything about Christmas, the one moment that she loves most is:

Opening the front door to her extended family when they arrive on Christmas morning –the noise and madness of way too many people crammed into the hallway trying to get their coats off while juggling presents-stuffed-under-arms and kissing the kids at the same time and handing over a bottle of wine to put in the fridge and someone calling "Can you move the car over a bit so I can pull right in?" all at once.

I thought it was just the loveliest thing – that THAT's what she looks forward to most! Not presents, not lunch, not turning on the lights of the tree, but a cramped, chaotic moment of cold air and shoe-wrestling in the hallway Grin

What are your unexpected favourite moments of Christmas?

OP's posts:
Please
or

AutumnAlmanack · 03/12/2021 11:54

Isn't it heart-warming how all the comments on this thread are about lovely memories and traditions, not at all about presents or money!

Please
or

MercedesBenz · 03/12/2021 12:03

@Joystir59
That brought a tear to my eye , but how lovely to have that special moment x

Please
or

tkband3 · 03/12/2021 12:17

I have faint but fond memories of Christmases as a child with my mother’s side of the family - my uncle carving the turkey and serving the children first so that my cousin had always finished his food before my uncle even sat down to eat his. Then playing charades which my mum made up each year and a mad game called spoons which my dad took very seriously and almost always won. Then after Christmas my dad’s father would come to stay. Bless him, he was quite a strict Methodist so didn’t drink, but always very much enjoyed my mum’s boozy trifle, Christmas pudding, brandy butter and sherry custard - to the extent that he would always get awful hiccups which had me and my younger brother in silent hysterics.

Our favourite family Christmas was when we spent the Christmas week in north Norfolk, which is our family’s favourite holiday place. Long beach walks, pub drinks and no pressure to have Christmas dinner on the table by a certain time… we were supposed to be there last year but - covid. This year we have my mum, her partner, my dad, my brother and his partner coming. So 10 adults (DDs are 18 and 16) and three dogs which will be hectic!

I don’t have the best relationship with my parents but reading this thread has reminded me how lucky I am that they are all still with us.

I’m looking forward to my DDs opening their Christmas pjs on Christmas Eve - a relatively new tradition but one which they love - and watching a Christmas film before the madness of the next day.

Please
or

tkband3 · 03/12/2021 12:22

DD2 has also just spent a few days in Great Ormond Street Hospital and it has reminded me to count every blessing. The nurses were amazing- endlessly helpful and kind - and I am grateful to be going home with DD for Christmas as there are lots of children who will have to spend the holiday in hospital.

Please
or

BeyondMyWits · 03/12/2021 15:00

@tkband3 my DH was in GOS when he was little ( he's now 52) he went home on Christmas eve, so one sleep til Xmas has always been "celebrated" in one way or another for his family.

Please
or

Marmite27 · 03/12/2021 18:26

@DrivingHomeChristmas

When I was a child, we would watch Jason and the Argonauts on Christmas Eve ( no idea why it was shown every Christmas Eve!) and we would be allowed to start the christmas sweets ( Terry’s Neopolitans for me). I always recreate this now on the day after everyone finishes school. They don’t make neopolitans any more so I use those little Green and Black’s bars. That for me is the start of Christmas.

I managed to get a box of Lindt Neapolitans in B&M last year Wink
Please
or

Bellerae · 03/12/2021 18:51

As a child my fondest memories are the smell of turkey cooking Christmas Eve sitting down peeling sprouts with my dad, waking up Christmas morning and looking out the window to see if any other houses were awake yet, I used to drag my parents out of bed at 5am! 🤣 sadly lost my dad 5 years ago January and I would give anything to go “home” and peel sprouts with him while he wears his silly Santa hat.
Now it’s all about creating life long memories for my daughters xxx

Please
or

tkband3 · 03/12/2021 18:57

@BeyondMyWits that’s lovely 💕

Please
or

TheNoodlesIncident · 03/12/2021 21:30

@Viviennemary

When Christmas is finally over for another year. That's the best bit of the whole sorry fiasco that Christmas has become.

What keeps you so cheerful?!

For me it's wrapping the presents, it's something I love doing. The more challenging the present shape, the better! Getting the ends into a perfect pointy triangle with no overlaps or projecting bits - it's just so satisfying! It doesn't even matter that nobody notices, it's the challenge to get it just right that counts.

I like to do my wrapping with as many different papers as possible (DH has slapped a moratorium on my buying any more, as he counted the rolls and we had about 50 at that point) and have Christmas music playing, a cup of tea with a mince pie and the cat to try to "help". She thinks she's helping, I think lying on the paper and putting her paw through it is less than helpful... Xmas Grin
Please
or

TheFogsGettingThicker · 03/12/2021 21:30

Every year, I like to listen in to my two dc as they decorate the little trees they have in their bedrooms. They do them upstairs on the landing and I love to hear their chat. We also do a Christmas Eve walk around the village, enjoying all the lights. It's a nice way to wind down, and a favourite of theirs as well.

My youngest takes his stocking in to his sister's room on Christmas morning, and they open the contents together. I can barely hear them but I'm spared any disappointment (not that they would say) and it gives us a bit more time in bed Grin

One thing I loved when I was much younger (pre dc) was the Christmas Day ride, when the entire stable would decorate their horse's tack with tinsel, mock reindeer antlers, red and white blankets and bells. We would hack out round the quiet, empty roads, just having lovely chats to the sounds of clopping hooves and bells jingling... such fun times...

Please
or

Houseofvelour · 03/12/2021 21:35

Seeing my kids reactions to the snowy footprints leading up to the living room and then opening the door and seeing all the presents under the tree.
Their excitement is palpable

Please
or

MrsBobBlackadder · 03/12/2021 23:14

Another vote here for Classics please @MNHQ!

Please
or

ILoveYou3000 · 04/12/2021 10:04

@GetOffTheTableMabel

After a busy Christmas Day with a huge lunchtime turkey roast, my Dad and I take orders for sandwiches. There’s usually about 10 of us and some want stuffing, some want cranberry sauce, some want ham not turkey etc, etc. It’s quite a process but we make them together and chat and pour the wine.
He died suddenly in October and this will be the first time I have to make the sandwiches without him. I think it’s going to be the hardest bit of my first Chri without him.

Been slowly making my way through this thread. This one really got me. Something so simple and sweet but I can see how it would have meant so much. I'm so sorry for your loss @GetOffTheTableMabel Thanks
Please
or

Pliudev · 04/12/2021 19:58

The last time I spent Christmas with my DS and his family, my eldest DGS was three. On Christmas morning he'd opened the stocking at the end of his bed and sat at the dining room table playing with the tiny wooden animals he'd found there. His joy in such a small gift was lovely and he had no idea there were much bigger presents under the tree. They live in Germany now and I haven't seen him for over two years because of covid but that's a cherished memory.

Please
or

AbstractDot · 04/12/2021 21:29

Placemarking! But will add.

That time after kids settle down when it's me and DH and Baileys and chocs looking back on the day thinking how the kids have enjoyed themselves!

December 1st is when I allow Xmas Dec's, music and movies (I use the term 'allow' loosely!). I can't feel legitametly a bit xmassy until it's December. Real Christmas period starts on the Katy day of school when kids have a more relaxed and fun eventful day and then break up, that's Christmas time!

Christmas eve I love the traditions of reindeer dust and peeling sprouts then watching Vicar of Dibley Christmas episodes for the 10th time that week.and again on Xmas night!

I love one soap and I'm excited to see it will be released before Xmas, seeing soap characters celebrating Xmas gets me in the mood however it bugs me to watch Xmas soap episode after Xmas so I'm please my soap is releasing its episodes on demand earlier this year.

Please
or

AbstractDot · 04/12/2021 21:36

legitamately last

Xmas Baileys may have already been opened Blush

Please
or

Frigginintheriggin · 04/12/2021 22:34

Using a santa app to send a picture to my dgc to show them Santa stopped for them at my house too

Please
or

peaceanddove · 04/12/2021 22:51

We often celebrate Xmas Day with my cousin and her family. She was an interiors stylist for years and she lives in a beautiful farmhouse that she rents out for photo shoots etc - and she always makes it look absolutely magical at Christmas. She always hangs a huge wreath of dried red roses & berries on the front door and I love that moment, waiting for the door to open, knowing that inside is just lots of love, great music, fabulous food, much dancing and laughing.

Please
or

Loudestcat14 · 05/12/2021 09:14

The highlight is definitely when everyone turns up and the hallway is crammed with bodies, coats, shoes and bags of presents. It's amazing to get everyone together. But also Xmas Eve, when my OH and I continue our yearly tradition of getting a bit tipsy while wrapping all the presents and watching Die Hard. Yippee-ki-yay!

Please
or

Loudestcat14 · 05/12/2021 09:16

Also around 7pm, when everyone's helping themselves to the buffet I've laid out (we have lunch early, around 1.30pm) and I feel properly relaxed as I drink white wine and stuff myself with onion rings and smelly cheese.

Please
or

OnTheHillNotOverIt · 05/12/2021 09:44

I love Christmas Eve when the house is clean(ish) and sparkly.
Then I love teatime on Christmas Day because our guests have gone home with a package of cold meats and Christmas cake, the rest of the household can eat leftovers for days and I can flop on the sofa satisfied with a job well done and look forward to my new books.

Please
or

ladygindiva · 05/12/2021 21:34

I've just experienced one of my favourite Xmas moments, that is the first gin and tonic of the season. I don't drink it the rest of the year, only ever buy it in for the festive season. Now it feels like Christmas!

Please
or

headintheproverbial · 05/12/2021 22:00

Oh man. In absolute bits reading this thread.

The thing about the hallway that your friend recounted, OP, takes me back to Christmasses of my childhood and I totally relate. We don't have big family Christmasses anymore - all the cousins are married and have dispersed around the country, I'm an only child and PIL are no longer with us. I miss those noisy, busy Christmas days getting dressed up to go to my aunt's or grandparents house.

ANYWAY - my highlights... We always put our tree up quite late but I do put the outside lights up earlier in December. I love coming home on a dark evening and seeing the house gently shining at me from down the street.

I also absolutely LOVE Home Alone and have had great joy in seeing my children grow to love it too.

And a few people have mentioned that quiet moment just before bed on Christmas Eve when everything is there under the tree, the mince pie nibbled and the milk drunk, the lights twinkling on the tree and just imagining the happy faces next morning... as they wade in to destroy it all in their own excited way!

Please
or

Lndnmummy · 05/12/2021 22:45

Dh and I snuggling on the sofa after the boys go to bed. PJ's, prosecco and mince pies watching east enders special. Its magic

Please
or

sarah13xx · 05/12/2021 23:29

Okay I’m back because I thought of another today..
home bargains gingerbread candle. THEE best candle on earth! My house smells like Christmas as soon as I smell it

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.