Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The unusual moment you look forward to most?

penguinwithasuitcase · 28/11/2021 10:48

Chatting to a friend this morning and she said that of everything about Christmas, the one moment that she loves most is:

Opening the front door to her extended family when they arrive on Christmas morning –the noise and madness of way too many people crammed into the hallway trying to get their coats off while juggling presents-stuffed-under-arms and kissing the kids at the same time and handing over a bottle of wine to put in the fridge and someone calling "Can you move the car over a bit so I can pull right in?" all at once.

I thought it was just the loveliest thing – that THAT's what she looks forward to most! Not presents, not lunch, not turning on the lights of the tree, but a cramped, chaotic moment of cold air and shoe-wrestling in the hallway Grin

What are your unexpected favourite moments of Christmas?

OP's posts:
Please
or

OrangeJuiceAndNoodles · 30/11/2021 21:00

1. I love looking at everybody's presents prior to wrapping them up. I love looking at each person's pile and imagining how happy they'll be to get those things.

2. putting my dog's stocking up (it goes up last minute because he goes bananas trying to get to it).

3. Champagne for breakfast.
Please
or

EuromamaAussiekids · 30/11/2021 22:09

This is a beautiful thread op Smile

Please
or

coronafiona · 30/11/2021 22:16

Heading the kids feet on the landing at stupid o'clock and "he's been!" I absolutely love it Smile

Please
or

Newbabynewhouse · 01/12/2021 00:50

@Helpimfalling

Im sat sobbing too!! So emotional..

Please
or

HeartvsBrain · 01/12/2021 03:40

@SnoopsCaliforniaRoll

My lovely DMIL showing off the cooked turkey as it is taken out of the oven, before it is rested. Everyone has to file into the kitchen, almost ceremonially, to have the bird presented, we all make the approving noises of appreciation etc, as the turkey always looks and smells beautiful. My DH's family have apparently done this forever! My DMIL's turkey is always absolutely delicious and she is always so proud of her handiwork (she is a wonderful cook and it's everyone's way of appreciating her effort), I love this little ceremony on Christmas Day! Grin

I love this, and most particularly because it says something lovely about a MiL. Now that does give a lovely Christmassy warm feeling!
Many thanks Snoops x
Please
or

SFisnotsimple · 01/12/2021 06:11

@Lowlifeinhighplaces that turkey neck chase sounds hilarious 😂

What a moving thread.

DD15 is a stickler for tradition - right down to reading the same Christmas picture books each night from 20 Dec. Our favourite is Richard Scarry's The Night Before the Night Before Christmas which we obvs read on 23 Dec. Mr Frumble and his skipickledoo always makes us smile Smile

Please
or

Treaclepie19 · 01/12/2021 10:28

I think Christmas Eve when my ds (and now dd is a bit older her as well) put out the treats for Santa and get in their pjs ready for Christmas. It just feels so lovely and exciting ❤

Please
or

Treaclepie19 · 01/12/2021 10:31

Also, DHs parents always had a tradition of a glass of fancy brandy before bed Christmas Eve (after nice food and plenty of drinks) which we joined in with.
His Mom is no longer here but DH and I do it still as a toast to his Mom.

Please
or

PanettoneSeason · 01/12/2021 19:39

@penguinwithasuitcase Thank you for starting this thread ❤️ I needed to read this today!

Please
or

penguinwithasuitcase · 01/12/2021 22:36

[quote PanettoneSeason]@penguinwithasuitcase Thank you for starting this thread ❤️ I needed to read this today![/quote]
@PanettoneSeason the thanks go to everyone posting on it!

What a warm, kind, funny bunch you all are Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

maldivemoment · 02/12/2021 07:23

Crikey! Reading this just before I head out to work. Just had to grab some tissues to wipe away the tears.

Beautiful thread. Best one I’ve read for a long time.

Please
or

SnoopsCaliforniaRoll · 02/12/2021 07:41

Aww thanks @HeartvsBrain - I was very lucky when Fate handed out families, my DMIL means as much to me (and my DH) as my own gorgeous DM.

Thanks for this thread OP, it's lovely! Thanks

Please
or

herecomesthsun · 02/12/2021 10:06

We go carol singing in the village, have done since the children were babies.

We didn't last year, but there were outdoor services on Xmas Eve and Xmas Day, with some carol singing at those instead.

Please
or

JacquelineCarlyle · 02/12/2021 11:57

@SnoopsCaliforniaRoll

Aww thanks *@HeartvsBrain* - I was very lucky when Fate handed out families, my DMIL means as much to me (and my DH) as my own gorgeous DM.

Thanks for this thread OP, it's lovely! Thanks

So lovely to read this - gives hope to future MILs everywhere!
Please
or

Sorebum · 02/12/2021 12:27

Coming back to this! Love this thread. What a goodern OP

Please
or

Mulhollandmagoo · 02/12/2021 13:21

My daughter is only small so has only happened a couple of times, but me and my husband put the gifts out under the tree on Christmas eve, then get settled on the sofa and have a drink together with the tree lights on and something crappy on the TV, and I feel so peaceful but excited all at the same time! the calm before the storm!

Please
or

Otherpeoplesteens · 02/12/2021 13:37

I had never really given this much thought. Sure, I've got lots of memories of different Christmases and love experiencing them again when they happen, but the unusual thing that stuck in my mind was putting the bacalhau (salt cod) in water to soak before going to bed on the 22nd of December.

Virtually everything up until that point I can do when I want, but this is the first thing that's driven by the timetable: the anticipation is over, it has started.

Please
or

TheWomanTheyCallJayne · 02/12/2021 20:53

This thread has made me so emotional.
I don’t do it anymore but one of my favourites was going to midnight mass slightly tipsy after an evening with my friends in the pub. We were completely respectful but hearing my friends singing loudly and not quite in tune always felt so magical

Please
or

helpmecope · 03/12/2021 09:17

lovely thread

Please
or

SingleHandSue · 03/12/2021 09:28

Aw these are lovely, I’ve only skimmed through but will sit down with a cuppa later to read them properly.

For me, my favourite bits are my own little tradition of staying up late on Xmas eve and sorting the kids presents in to piles. They’re 20 and 16 now so have done it for many years. I take a photo of them piled up either side of the mantelpiece and then look back at the photos over the years and see how the piles have shrunk from bikes, scooters and big toy garages to a tiny pile of clothes, toiletry sets and cash in envelopes Grin

I sit back with a small baileys with just the Xmas lights on and look at how pretty the room looks ready for the chaos the next day.

Please
or

Thewiseoneincognito · 03/12/2021 10:31

MNHQ Can this be added to Classics already? Lovely OP.

We always go to my sisters on Christmas Eve to get all excited with our little niece (and 16yrold nephew haha), usually have a small buffet and lots of excitement as she gets the carrots and mince pies ready. Luckily my sister and her DP are wholly invested into everything festive so it’s a lovely moment to share with them all. Once the kids are in bed (after reading The night before Christmas) we stay an hour or so to help set up everything and then head home.

It’s now a tradition and we love it.

Please
or

PinkyPromises · 03/12/2021 10:56

So much love and joy on this thread apart from a couple of ploppers upthread

@mnhq can this go into classics please? Thanks

Please
or

trac2007 · 03/12/2021 11:28

One of my best memories as a kid was when Dad would head to work Christmas Eve morning, we’d have our last chocolate from our advent calendar, then rip the cardboard off, melt up some chocolate and refill it to make little Christmas shaped chocolates. We’d have the “treat table” in the front room which we’d put a tablecloth on and all the crisps, sweets etc. Then when Dad got home from work we’d “surprise” him with the table….although it happened every single year 😂 I don’t remember the presents I got every year but I loved making that table up!

Please
or

SnoopsCaliforniaRoll · 03/12/2021 11:32

@trac2007

One of my best memories as a kid was when Dad would head to work Christmas Eve morning, we’d have our last chocolate from our advent calendar, then rip the cardboard off, melt up some chocolate and refill it to make little Christmas shaped chocolates. We’d have the “treat table” in the front room which we’d put a tablecloth on and all the crisps, sweets etc. Then when Dad got home from work we’d “surprise” him with the table….although it happened every single year 😂 I don’t remember the presents I got every year but I loved making that table up!

That is so creative!
Please
or

Mummainwonderland · 03/12/2021 11:44

My favourite is when my little one (it'll be little ones this year!) is tucked up in bed Christmas eve, I pop on a grown up Christmas film, make a cuppa and sort out santa in the quiet with the Christmas lights on Xmas Smile

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.