Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The unusual moment you look forward to most?

penguinwithasuitcase · 28/11/2021 10:48

Chatting to a friend this morning and she said that of everything about Christmas, the one moment that she loves most is:

Opening the front door to her extended family when they arrive on Christmas morning –the noise and madness of way too many people crammed into the hallway trying to get their coats off while juggling presents-stuffed-under-arms and kissing the kids at the same time and handing over a bottle of wine to put in the fridge and someone calling "Can you move the car over a bit so I can pull right in?" all at once.

I thought it was just the loveliest thing – that THAT's what she looks forward to most! Not presents, not lunch, not turning on the lights of the tree, but a cramped, chaotic moment of cold air and shoe-wrestling in the hallway Grin

What are your unexpected favourite moments of Christmas?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bunnyfuller · 29/11/2021 20:23

I’m in a blur of all of it. Lovely thread, op

Please
or

BasilLeaf · 29/11/2021 20:24

I had a horrible childhood, abusive parents, my memories (which are few and far between) are of often being cold and frightened. I’ve spent my whole life picking up how to be a good mum, kind and loving in spite of it all. This thread is beautiful, has made me cry for all I didn’t have and for all I give my kids because they absolutely deserve all the nuture I can give them. It’s also given me some really wonderful ideas, so thank you Flowers and Merry Christmas x

Please
or

Holothane · 29/11/2021 21:02

Carols at kings the first sound of Once In Royal David’s city, magic knowing everything is done.

Please
or

red30505 · 29/11/2021 21:11

putting the baubles out.
Each year we get a bauble made or put a photo in some plastic ones we have to commemorate the year.
It's a trip down memory lane each year and we laugh and reminisce drinking baileys / mulled cider, and eating christmas yummy food.

We then snuggle up on the sofa and watch a christmas film.

this year is our first with DD, she's 5 months so no idea what's going on but I'm so excited to have her in the mix of it all.

Please
or

Wallabyone · 29/11/2021 21:21

This thread is just gorgeous, I'm reading it cuddling my youngest to sleep and I keep crying 😭 I'm so sorry for those who have lost special people, and those who had difficult childhoods ❤️

I love Christmas more since I've had my children. I love being at my parents on Christmas Eve, peeling all the veg and crossing the sprouts to help my mum, whilst I eat her mince pies and florentines.

The children go with DH to choose our tree, and they love the whole ritual of putting on their wellies and hats and gloves and choosing the perfect one. Then watching whilst DH and I try our best to stand it up in our stand 😂 One year it was covered in dormant insects-that was fun when they woke up in the warmth of the house!

The kids take it in turns for DH to lift them up and put the angel on the tree, so he takes a photo each year for us to remember which child it was last! Our eldest is now a large 9 year old but we've already been instructed to check the photos and it's his turn this year.

Christmas Day is most often at my parents', my mum is a fab cook and my in-laws often come too. Love the evening when we're all full of food, but she brings out the cheeseboard, and the ham, and pates and lots of chutneys, and somehow, we all manage more!

And sandwiches on Boxing Day, like the lovely post from the PP who made them with her dad, I usually take orders and make about 6 different varieties: toasted, not toasted, with Brie and cranberry, or piccalilli...

Please
or

41sunnydays · 29/11/2021 21:22

Every year when my children put out a drink for santa and rudolf I take a photo of them. It's so nice looking back at the photos over the year, and it's my special moment

Please
or

Pineappleheart · 29/11/2021 21:23

Putting chocolate coins in the stockings several times because someone —DD— pinches them 😁🥰

Please
or

waddlemyway · 29/11/2021 21:24

Such an emotional thread on so many levels. Thank you OP and thank you everyone for all your heartfelt contributions.

I emigrated years ago and now celebrate Christmas differently to how I grew up. So many traditions here making me feel strangely forlorn. The oddest thing is celebrating just the four of us, having grown up with Christmas in the hustly bustly house so many of you mention. Sad that my children don’t have that Grandparent effect. And sadder for my parents sat by themselves.

My favourite tradition then and now is dressing the tree and then basking in its shiny twinkly light for the next two weeks.

In my neighbourhood one lovely and reliable lady organises us to sign up for 24 advent windows in December. My new favourite tradition is dragging everyone out on the evening of Christmas Eve or Christmas Day to walk around our estate and look at all the advent windows we haven’t seen yet and going “Aaaaghhh, that’s a pretty one,” and “ooohhh they didn’t bother much, did they?” 😂 It also provides a good excuse to sneak a peek in people’s windows while everyone inside is drinking champagne and doing all the 100s of other things mentioned in this chat, which makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Please
or

Fuuuuuckit · 29/11/2021 21:26

My parents divorced when I was 7 so I've always travelled on Xmas day but I've never felt dragged about or torn between homes.

Since I was little my favourite part is late in the evening (now its me doing the driving), as we come home from whichever grandparents we've been to for tea. Little traffic, Xmas lights in almost every window, knowing that there are folk in those houses who have hopefully had as good a day as us, sinking into a food snooze, maybe with a glass or several of booze shared with loved ones.

They've built a bypass this year, I think I'll still be coming the long way home!

Please
or

LibbyL92 · 29/11/2021 21:30

Christmas hasn’t been the same for me since I left home. My parents don’t bother celebrating now.

I can’t wait to have a child of my own one day so we can all enjoy Christmas together.

Mum says Christmas isn’t the same without children.

Next year maybe :)

Please
or

H1Drangea · 29/11/2021 21:34

We buy a bottle of Sherry ( Harvey’s Bristol cream ) and have a glass on Sunday’s in December , that’s when Christmas starts

Please
or

NicolaC17 · 29/11/2021 21:40

This thread Flowers

As a child it was my mum always saving us a present for the afternoon and making us search for it. The anticipation and excitement waking up on Christmas morning and seeing who would go in to my parents…it couldn’t be before 6am. Also a knitted postbox we had from our grandma that was filled with sweets that me and my brother used to fight over every year.

As a parent seeing my children’s faces when they are their presents. They are only 3/2 so this will be the first year I think they will know it’s Christmas Day when they wake up. Also making our own new traditions like a family walk on Christmas Eve then home to Christmas Eve boxes and new pjs (matching of course).

It really is the most wonderful time of year.

Please
or

Parusmajor · 29/11/2021 21:43

I'm still a 'believer' :) If my mum and I are together at Christmas we go and look for the Christmas Star on Christmas Eve in the cold and dark. It's magical. I then always have a last look out of my bedroom window before bed just in case there are any twinkly lights and reindeer to see...
I also discovered the NORAD Santa tracker a few years ago and it honestly brings back the magic of being little at Christmas to me! I have a little boy now so can't wait to share these traditions with him.

Please
or

thesunwillout · 29/11/2021 21:48

DD and I have started a Xmas Eve afternoon thing of going for a hot chocolate in our local cafe.
It feels so special to just be together.
After yrs of very ill health in both of us it's wonderful to just sit in that pre christmassy feeling.

My baby, who is nearly 20 now, and has been away at university for just over a year.

I just look at her, and although I miss her dreadfully I'm so blessed to have a child.
She took a long time to conceive and I still look at her in almost disbelief that she's my girl.

😊

Please
or

00100001 · 29/11/2021 21:51

I like how quiet it is on the roads and in the village on Christmas Day. Such a hush.

People are very friendly if you do happen to come across them in the village. Always lovely wishing each other a merry Christmas :)

Please
or

thesunwillout · 29/11/2021 21:52

@Joystir59

For me there was a moment in time. Dec 10th 2019. Early evening. I'd brought my dearest darling home from hospital following major surgery. She spent a week of very difficult recovery and here she was home. Safe, the house warm, we'd eaten a light simple meal of fish and mash and veg because her digestive system was still delicate. Soft lamplight, we were holding hands on the sofa watching TV, and both of us had tears streaming down our faces. She'd come through an awful time. There was uncertainty, probably more treatment ahead. But we'd arrived in this perfect pause, this perfect moment. Safe, together, Christmas around the corner, hearts full of gratitude, peace, love. I will never forget it. It was to be her last Christmas.

Sending you the most sincere condolences.

Thankyou for sharing that, so beautiful XXX
Please
or

Kablamo · 29/11/2021 22:03

My daughter is almost 4 and I love her excitement at seeing everybody else's Christmas lights when we're on the way home every night - she sees the same houses but never gets any less excited 🤗

Please
or

Imissmoominmama · 29/11/2021 22:20

Last year it was eating breakfast on the top of a local fell whilst watching the sunrise with my dogs. We walked up by torchlight.

Please
or

waddlemyway · 29/11/2021 22:33

Oooh I thought of another one on my way to bed there and had to come back down and share. 😊

When the candles are blown out after Christmas dinner. Mmmmhhh that smell. When I was growing up we only ever had candles for Christmas dinner (always at my aunt & uncle’s house) so the smell of them being snuffed will forever remind me of being stuffed and surrounded by family.
I fill my house with candles throughout the dark winter months but at Christmas especially. I just blew the candles out on my way to bed (got a few more christmassy ones on the go since the first Sunday in advent yesterday) and it reminded me.

Please
or

SherBear1971 · 29/11/2021 22:44

I was crying by page 4...when I recover myself I shall have to think of all of mine!

Please
or

BustyLaRoux · 29/11/2021 22:52

Christmas is my absolute favourite thing in all the world! I think my favourite used to be when I was still with the DC’s dad we would go to his DP’s every year and it was my favourite day of the year. Starting with the DC waking up (frightfully early usually) and tip toeing into our bedroom with their little sacks. My DS stopped believing about 2 years ago but he plays along for his sister and they’re both so excited and squealy! We would tell them to wait ten minutes and one of us would make some much needed coffee as it was usually before 6am! Then we would sit on the king size bed and watch as the DC opened their gifts from santa. They were just so happy and innocent and perfect in every way!

Things a bit different now as I’m not with their dad anymore and I won’t see the DC until Boxing Day. I’m planning a second Xmas day and have somehow persuaded santa to do one more trip on Boxing Day night for a couple of very special children!

It is my favourite thing in the world and makes me go all squishy!!!

Please
or

Timeisavirtue · 29/11/2021 22:54

Mine is that everyone kicks in with dinner, kids set the table, adults work together cooking, we don’t get to do it too much as it’s like Piccadilly Circus in, always people coming and going, it’s the one day of the year you know it’s not gonna all be left to one person.

Please
or

Teenagehorrorbag · 29/11/2021 22:59

We love all of it - but the 'family arriving' bit reminded me of when DC were small, and their godparents had bought them a drum kit which came in a box about 2ft by 2ft by 2ft - they were so excited by this huge thing under the tree.

Christmas morning we had stockings upstairs, and breakfast, then I started lunch while DH went to get MIL. The children were so excited and desperate to start ripping the paper off this huge present. I told them they had to wait, and we couldn't open anything until grandma was here.

I went upstairs to change and glam up - and heard the car pull into the drive. Simultaneously I heard shrieks of excitement as two small DCs (aged around 6 I think) ripped the paper off the box and found the drumkit!

I ran downside to see why they had opened it early - but they said 'it's OK Mum, Gran's here, we just saw the car arrive'.........Grin!

Clearly you have to be more specific with little ones - the excitement just takes over! We had so many lovely moments, it's not quite the same now they're teenagers.....Smile!

Please
or

jelly79 · 29/11/2021 23:12

Playing driving home for Christmas when I finish work for the holidays

Arriving at my DMs and the smell of cinnamon candles

Please
or

emsmum79 · 29/11/2021 23:13

I love this thread.

My favourite part of Christmas is the anticipation. I loved that feeling of being made to wait while my parents made their morning cuppa. It was only a couple of minutes, and I now understand their need for caffeine, but I just felt like I'd burst if I didn't get into the living room to see my presents.

Christmas was always a very big extended family party when I was young. I did enjoy it, but I loved it when we were back home just me, my mum, and dad.

Now, it's that expression on my daughter's face. She's so excited by every light, bauble, present, food... And, the thought of us all being together - Grandparents, aunt and uncle, mummy and daddy. Can't beat it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.