Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The unusual moment you look forward to most?

penguinwithasuitcase · 28/11/2021 10:48

Chatting to a friend this morning and she said that of everything about Christmas, the one moment that she loves most is:

Opening the front door to her extended family when they arrive on Christmas morning –the noise and madness of way too many people crammed into the hallway trying to get their coats off while juggling presents-stuffed-under-arms and kissing the kids at the same time and handing over a bottle of wine to put in the fridge and someone calling "Can you move the car over a bit so I can pull right in?" all at once.

I thought it was just the loveliest thing – that THAT's what she looks forward to most! Not presents, not lunch, not turning on the lights of the tree, but a cramped, chaotic moment of cold air and shoe-wrestling in the hallway Grin

What are your unexpected favourite moments of Christmas?

OP's posts:
Please
or

katem1990 · 29/11/2021 18:30

The one that comes to mind is my dog playing in the wrapping paper, he loved it and it made us smile every year. Unfortunately he passed away this year so he won’t be with us, but we’ll be thinking of him rustling away.

Please
or

Lulu1919 · 29/11/2021 18:31

Love the feeling Christmas Day Evening ...when the 'work' is done
The kids in bed
TV on
Baileys in a glass
Some nibbles

BREATHE

Please
or

wellstopdoingitthen · 29/11/2021 18:37

@Malala21

Crying now too. DH just died in August.. appreciate your loved ones while you can

Oh I'm so sorry. Love & hugs to you & yours. 🤗
Please
or

Badabingbadabum · 29/11/2021 18:37

The smell of the milk infusing for bread sauce in the morning. It smells peaceful.

Please
or

OhGiveUp · 29/11/2021 18:39

Waiting in the arrivals hall at the airport, usually the day before Christmas Eve for my DH to walk through the arrivals door with his case and a big grin.
The next day Xmas Eve is when the kids and grandkids come in through the door in the afternoon for Christmas dinner before we all open our presents.
It's wonderful. I wouldn't change it for anything.

Please
or

Jackburger · 29/11/2021 18:42

Arriving at my parents Christmas morning, first glass of cold champagne and my dad putting on his vinyl Tony Bennett Christmas album. Cooking smells wafting in from the kitchen while we all catch up. Will always be my best memory of Christmas at home.

Please
or

PRBSurrey1 · 29/11/2021 18:44

Well this thread is making me feel all warm and fuzzy. The magic of Christmas is totally in these small moments for me. I have a few that I can't choose between:
1, the first time coming home in the dark after the Christmas tree has gone up and seeing it all lit up though the window
2, Popping champers on Christmas Day morning to make bucks fizz, with homemade croissants just coming out the oven and everyone standing in the kitchen in pyjamas wearing reindeer antlers or santa hats at my reverting-back-to-childhood insistence
3, Hearing the opening strains to John Lennon Happy Xmas as we sit down ready to start pressies - this was the first song on the Christmas tape when I was a child so even now it has to be first one that goes on..
4, Seeing my big brothers, who both live abroad, for the first time in ages and feeling giddy with excitement like I'm 8yo again :)

Please
or

LoveFall · 29/11/2021 18:51

Long ago memories now.

All of us sitting around the table Christmas Eve. Including my Swedish Finn grandparents who had immigrated to Canada in the late 1910s or 1920s.

We watched Grandpa making the lutefisk, rinsing it and then steaming it. Laughing and saying eewww over and over at what us kids thought was disgusting (it is, honestly). Watching Mom making a white sauce with cracked allspice and black pepper to put on top.

Laughing and laughing as Dad good naturally had his small portion. He was a good sport!

Sing Silent Night in Swedish. I still can sing a bit of it.

Lutefisk is a white fish dried and somehow preserved in lye. It looks like jellied bits of fish. I wish I liked it, but no. Really disgusting.

But it surely was warm family time.

Please
or

SugarlumpsesBumpses · 29/11/2021 18:52

This thread makes me look forward to Christmas!

I have a baby/toddler this year (tiny baby last year) for Christmas and I'm looking forward to her going mad on wrapping paper and all the attention from family. Also she can try some food this year! Looking forward to a cosy Christmas Eve just the 3 of us as the actual day is usually a madness of 2 dinners and spending half the day at DHs mums and half the day at my parents!

Please
or

HeyupitsChristmas · 29/11/2021 18:59

@Viviennemary

When Christmas is finally over for another year. That's the best bit of the whole sorry fiasco that Christmas has become.

Aren't you a cheery soul?

If Christmas offends you so much then hide the topic.
Please
or

EmmaLFC · 29/11/2021 19:04

My dad always did christmas dinner using my grannys stuffing recipe. I moved out 5 years ago so the past 5 christmas eves I've gone to my grannys and i make the stuffing in her house. We usually have cream cake and tea while its cooking and chat for hours. She's 92 now and this will be my first year as a mammy so i can't wait to bring my little man with me and have him join our tradition

Please
or

louderthan · 29/11/2021 19:07

Waking up on Boxing Day knowing it's over for another year.

Please
or

Cavementality · 29/11/2021 19:09

The moment the Christmas tree lights are switched on. For a split second I remember being a child again!

Please
or

Ginandcrispsarebliss · 29/11/2021 19:20

Love it when I pick up my children from school for the Christmas Holidays. They are so excited and happy.
Love Christmas Eve, we buy a take-away and then snuggle down to watch a film together in our PJ'S. When they are in bed my OH and I will have a few drinks while preparing stockings/ presents then crawling on all fours to put the stockings by their beds when they finally fall asleep.
Christmas Day with family. My mother is terminally ill with breast/bone cancer so another year with my parents is a blessing. Love drinking a G&T while wrestling with the turkey.

Please
or

Whatamess582 · 29/11/2021 19:24

I have 3 of them.
Christmas eve..:. Stocking cloves into juicy oranges as a family and making patterns with them. And then leaving them around the house to give it that lovley christmassy smell. Better than any bought candle.
The joy of everyone finding the Terry’s choclate orange in their stocking. And the first bite at 7am while everyone is going through their stocking fillers.
Everyone helping lay the Christmas table with Kings College carols on….

I hate most of Christmas but these moments are what get me through.

Please
or

ImInStealthMode · 29/11/2021 19:26

What a lovely thread Smile

With no DC and many years spent with other people's families (I live abroad from my own and rarely go back) I don't really have my own traditions yet but this thread is making me all squishy inside.

One thing; I used to have to spend almost all of the 23rd December at our local airport every year (work thing, long story) and I LOVE watching everyone reunite in arrivals, even though it was never me! I miss that.

Please
or

ladygindiva · 29/11/2021 19:30

christmas eve; when theyre all finally asleep, I suddenly feel so excited.

Please
or

ImInStealthMode · 29/11/2021 19:33

@LoveFall Scandinavian Christmas for me this year with DP's family. I've been promised Lutefisk ConfusedConfusedConfused

Please
or

divface · 29/11/2021 19:40

We always stay with family
Over xmas.

So for coming home to peace. Quiet. My fridge, my booze, my cheese board and my sofa. We save a few presents for DC to open and celebrate quietly and kids play with their toys

Please
or

Bloodybridget · 29/11/2021 20:01

@longtompot and @Vapeyvapevape your posts about the Round Table doing Santa on a sleigh round the village reminded me of a lovely moment with my DM: DP and I were driving up to our country house with her one Friday night, must have been December, and suddenly coming towards us on this little road was Father Christmas on a trailer - it was really magical, I will never forget it. My darling DM died in 2009.

Please
or

TerriblyNaice · 29/11/2021 20:06

@Joystir59

For me there was a moment in time. Dec 10th 2019. Early evening. I'd brought my dearest darling home from hospital following major surgery. She spent a week of very difficult recovery and here she was home. Safe, the house warm, we'd eaten a light simple meal of fish and mash and veg because her digestive system was still delicate. Soft lamplight, we were holding hands on the sofa watching TV, and both of us had tears streaming down our faces. She'd come through an awful time. There was uncertainty, probably more treatment ahead. But we'd arrived in this perfect pause, this perfect moment. Safe, together, Christmas around the corner, hearts full of gratitude, peace, love. I will never forget it. It was to be her last Christmas.

Sending you a hug. What a wonderful picture that you wrote.

I'm sad that you don't have her anymore but happy for you to have experienced such a lovely relationship Flowers
Please
or

PilotRochester · 29/11/2021 20:13

Having a quiet late drink with my husband when the children are in bed. Then hardly sleeping, laying in wait for them to wake up and bring their stockings into our bedroom. I am always SO excited!

Please
or

LoveFall · 29/11/2021 20:13

[quote ImInStealthMode]@LoveFall Scandinavian Christmas for me this year with DP's family. I've been promised Lutefisk ConfusedConfusedConfused[/quote]
This lovely thread prompted me to read about lutefisk. Apparently it is more prevalent now in North Americans of Scandi descent. Sadly, my generation did not adopt it.

I do love pickled herring though. My Grandpa made jars and jars of it from local herring. So good.

We ate it on triscuit crackers. I remember it had sliced onions and whole peppercorns in it.

Enjoy your Scandinavian Christmas. Be like my Dad and try a bit! I would if I could go back in time.

Please
or

Pumasonsatsumas · 29/11/2021 20:16

Driving home along empty roads after midnight mass, loving the quiet and the thought of everyone tucked up in their houses, coming in to tea and toast and a glass of prosecco, having a giggle and a chat and then flopping into bed

Please
or

bimbodoc · 29/11/2021 20:18

Christmas morning going for a run with my daughter and dog, giving chocolate to anyone we see on our route,

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.