Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

The unusual moment you look forward to most?

penguinwithasuitcase · 28/11/2021 10:48

Chatting to a friend this morning and she said that of everything about Christmas, the one moment that she loves most is:

Opening the front door to her extended family when they arrive on Christmas morning –the noise and madness of way too many people crammed into the hallway trying to get their coats off while juggling presents-stuffed-under-arms and kissing the kids at the same time and handing over a bottle of wine to put in the fridge and someone calling "Can you move the car over a bit so I can pull right in?" all at once.

I thought it was just the loveliest thing – that THAT's what she looks forward to most! Not presents, not lunch, not turning on the lights of the tree, but a cramped, chaotic moment of cold air and shoe-wrestling in the hallway Grin

What are your unexpected favourite moments of Christmas?

OP's posts:
Please
or

bingoitsadingo · 19/12/2021 18:46

The most random thing I really love is reading late-night threads on here on Christmas Eve with parents sharing stories/worries about sneaking stockings into their kids bedrooms. I don’t even have kids yet but I stumbled on mumsnet in my mid 20s and that was when I really realised what Christmas is like as a parent, rather than as a child.

My other favourite moment, which I haven’t done for a couple of years now, was walking past the church having midnight mass on the way home from the pub with my best friend on Christmas Eve. We always had such a lovely evening together ahead of sometimes stressful family Christmases, so it was lovely to be able to mentally prepare for that knowing I’d already had a lovely time. The church in question was one I went to with school as a kid, so even though I’m very atheist and haven’t been inside a church for years now, it always warms my heart walking past and seeing it all lit up and people singing.

Please
or

BashfulClam · 11/12/2021 02:30

When we are both finished work and at home together. A drink in front of the tree lights and watching Scrooged on the tv. Then on Boxing Day being able breathe as we are alone without MIL constantly talking at us about people we don’t know, repeating herself 23 times.

Please
or

Angelik · 10/12/2021 22:36

Haven't rft yet but what I have read sparked a memory of when ds was little and dd was prob just a toddler. They shared a room. They were early risers like most little children. Usually some time between 6- 7am. We, like lots of parents, were awake at that time every day but not ready to be up. We put stockings in their room in middle of night. Sp Christmas morning we'rr in bed waiting to be got. We heard bed creaking in their room some shuffling and our ds angelic, happy little voice say "father Christmas has been!". My heart swells with love and joy even now. He's 11 now but keeps the make believe going for his little sister. He even told her today that he'd been learning about pixies in science. Dd was all agog with a "really!"

Please
or

Nomorefuckstogive · 10/12/2021 21:49

A glass of sherry before lunch, too, when the cooking is all under control. Never drink sherry at any other time of year. So Christmassy.

Please
or

penguinwithasuitcase · 10/12/2021 10:49

@Plantsandpuddlesuits

I thought of another one.
As a child we always at the start of the meal had a toast to "absent friends". As a child I thought it meant friends that weren't with us as they were in their own houses 😭

Now as a family we still do the toast to absent friends and there's an almost holy moment in the silence just for a moment as we stand glasses aloft and just take a moment. I get a tear in my eye and a shiver down my spine, it's bittersweet but lovely

And there I go again @Plantsandpuddlesuits!! Grin

Something gets in my eye every time I come back to this thread, it's ever so odd... *dabs cheeks
OP's posts:
Please
or

whateveritwilltake · 07/12/2021 21:57

Things have moved on now but for many years my brother in law who cooked for us all started prepping after breakfast in his pj's and was often still in his pj's when we arrived. One year he went and dressed and I complained! I loved seeing him in his food stained pj's and paper cracker hat Smile

Please
or

CoffeeRunner · 07/12/2021 21:29

I love Christmas Eve. Christmas officially starts for me after midnight Mass but I love the excitement & preparation of Christmas Eve too.

Please
or

sueelleker · 07/12/2021 20:09

Before I retired I used to get up early in the morning and sit in the dark living room with my coffee, with just the tree lights on. Magical.

Please
or

Nsky · 07/12/2021 14:07

Sharing it with friends

Please
or

Plantsandpuddlesuits · 07/12/2021 11:28

And one on a lighter note....I love in the leadup to Christmas over the next few weeks going round the village putting our Christmas orders in with the farm shop for veg, the milkman for extra milk, cream and randomly sparkling water, the bakers for sausage rolls in case I don't have time to make my own, special bread, a Yule log and a hotpot for new year's eve. And the butcher's for our Christmas hamper.

Love supporting our village and getting to know people by name and having a simple handmade Christmas.

Please
or

Plantsandpuddlesuits · 07/12/2021 11:24

I thought of another one.
As a child we always at the start of the meal had a toast to "absent friends". As a child I thought it meant friends that weren't with us as they were in their own houses 😭

Now as a family we still do the toast to absent friends and there's an almost holy moment in the silence just for a moment as we stand glasses aloft and just take a moment. I get a tear in my eye and a shiver down my spine, it's bittersweet but lovely

Please
or

PinkyPromises · 07/12/2021 08:53

Can't wait to watch Gavin and Stacey. Love those moments...

Doris being 'absolutely twatted' truth be told... handing over the talc.

Then the journey up to Essex etc. Brilliant.

Please
or

JohnStonesMissus · 06/12/2021 23:16

@Palavah

Oh yes that's lovely! When everyone arrives and the day is full of promise.

I love the way my dad starts the turkey in his dressing gown looking like the ghost of christmas past.

The Gavin and Stacey Christmas special when the Welsh branch of the family arrive happy and full of Christmas spirit, I love that scene because it's so true to life, makes me smile every time!
Please
or

EdinaMonsoon · 06/12/2021 22:41

For me, it’s midnight on Christmas Eve when everyone else has gone to bed. I put the presents under the tree, stockings are ready to leave by beds, Carols from Kings is on the tv, & I pour myself a glass of champagne, sit by the fire & truly immerse myself in the moment. My childhood Christmas’s were shitty thanks to feckless adults. I have loved creating the total opposite of that for my own DC & this little ritual gives me a moment to reflect on that. DC are young adults now but somehow it still feels magical & exciting.

Please
or

user1471538283 · 06/12/2021 17:27

When there were lots of us I loved that scramble to get in with my DF shouting to mind that child to everyone!

Now there's not so many my two favourite moments are seeing the lights in as many places as possible and sitting with food and friends howling with laughter

Please
or

guestusername · 06/12/2021 16:52

What a lovely thread 💗

My Christmas loving brother died last year. His son was 3 and hasn’t really got the concept of Christmas until now. He’s 5 now and the magic in his eyes when he talks about Christmas is something else. There’ll always be a huge gap in our Christmas but the little one will put genuine smiles back on all our faces again this year 💙

I love that moment before everyone arrives. The presents are all nicely piled up around the tree, the turkey is in the oven, the table is set and I’ll just sit for a few minutes enjoying the peace before the madness begins. And then I enjoy the madness that follows 🥰

I love that moment on Christmas Eve afternoon where I can check over my lists and know that everything is done.

Please
or

Timetoeat · 06/12/2021 12:06

Closing the door when work is over for the next week or two.
The knowledge that all the gifts are wrapped and hidden.
Visiting the park near to Christmas and coming back to mince pies and hot drinks.
Cheese and crackers
Party type food Christmas Eve
Buffet on Boxing Day with left over.
I love it all.

Please
or

WildStallyn · 06/12/2021 11:39

Putting my out of office reply on!

Please
or

Dillidilly · 06/12/2021 09:17

That feeling when whichever adult offspring are here for Christmas are all safely home under the same roof with us, and DH and I squeeze each other in happiness. Priceless ❤

Please
or

Vanishun · 06/12/2021 07:27

Lovely thread!

I've never had children or a big family and never will, and it's a bit heartbreaking and poignant reading about them - however, I really hope you enjoy and cherish those big Christmas celebrations if you have them!

For me the magical times are when I walk around and see all the lights and Christmas trees in people's houses.

There's something about a big communal activity which makes me feel peaceful somehow, like we're all part of something.

Please
or

hivemindneeded · 06/12/2021 05:39

Feeding a flock of white doves at a local NT garden. It's closed on Christmas Day so by Boxing Day morning they are really hungry and come to feed from our hands. I love having a queue of white doves on my arm. They are so gentle as they peck at the seed. I look forward to it all year.

Also love going to get the tree from a local farm, and watching DC unwrap their stocking while DH and I drink massive mugs of coffee with frothy milk.

I just love Christmas.

Please
or

LadyCatStark · 06/12/2021 00:51

As a child it was my dad pouring me a shot glass of Advocaat for Christmas dinner. It has little balloons painted on it. Then I’d sip it as if it was a full sized glass and get a warm, fuzzy feeling and wonder if I was drunk 😂.

As an adult, I just love making things special for DS. Things have changed in the last couple of years as he’s 12 now and downs have younger siblings to pretend for, so this year he’s helping me make it special for our puppy and he’s taking it very seriously!

The most unusual thing I love though is unpacking the shopping and seeing that the milk has a sell by date of after Christmas. That’s how you know it’s nearly time…

Please
or

sarah13xx · 05/12/2021 23:29

Okay I’m back because I thought of another today..
home bargains gingerbread candle. THEE best candle on earth! My house smells like Christmas as soon as I smell it

Please
or

Lndnmummy · 05/12/2021 22:45

Dh and I snuggling on the sofa after the boys go to bed. PJ's, prosecco and mince pies watching east enders special. Its magic

Please
or

headintheproverbial · 05/12/2021 22:00

Oh man. In absolute bits reading this thread.

The thing about the hallway that your friend recounted, OP, takes me back to Christmasses of my childhood and I totally relate. We don't have big family Christmasses anymore - all the cousins are married and have dispersed around the country, I'm an only child and PIL are no longer with us. I miss those noisy, busy Christmas days getting dressed up to go to my aunt's or grandparents house.

ANYWAY - my highlights... We always put our tree up quite late but I do put the outside lights up earlier in December. I love coming home on a dark evening and seeing the house gently shining at me from down the street.

I also absolutely LOVE Home Alone and have had great joy in seeing my children grow to love it too.

And a few people have mentioned that quiet moment just before bed on Christmas Eve when everything is there under the tree, the mince pie nibbled and the milk drunk, the lights twinkling on the tree and just imagining the happy faces next morning... as they wade in to destroy it all in their own excited way!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.