Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Please stop with the teacher and TA gifts!

pinkksugarmouse · 22/11/2021 20:43

Just that really. As someone who has worked in schools and knows many people who do presents are such an unnecessary pain. It’s just stuff bought for the sheer heck of buying and needs to stop. Protecting the environment is very high on the list of pupils concerns. Inundating people with unwanted things in their name isn’t respectful.
Please no more mugs, teddies, chocolates, bizarre decorations…how many teachers, TA’s, nursery staff do you think really want it?
You are just gifting them a trip to the charity shop and/or the need for more bin bags.

OP's posts:
Please
or

DGFB · 22/11/2021 22:00

We’re a family of teachers and the booze and chocolates go down well actually! Agree about the rest of it though. Or give vouchers

Please
or

Kitkatchunkyplease · 22/11/2021 22:02

You sound nice

Please
or

toolazytothinkofausername · 22/11/2021 22:04

I always give the teachers/ta a gift receipt so they are free to exchange the gift if they don't like it.

Please
or

PeachesPumpkin · 22/11/2021 22:06

I am a TA and love the gifts! It’s nice to thank people- I thank the refuse collectors and postwoman by giving them a card with a fiver in. It gives me pleasure to thank people.

Please
or

OhMyChickenDinner · 22/11/2021 22:07

We always just put together and the teachers get a nice big voucher each.

Please
or

Katjolo · 22/11/2021 22:09

It's nice to show appreciation.

Please
or

Chr1stmasCarole · 22/11/2021 22:10

I don't think they're a pain, no.... I'm always touched that somebody has made the effort. They're not necessary though and as most of my families are on very low incomes, I'd rather they spent the money on themselves.

Please
or

Etsylicious · 22/11/2021 22:10

We’ve put in a fiver each and we’re getting vouchers for the local food hall…

Please
or

ballsdeep · 22/11/2021 22:12

Speak for yourself op!

I love a bottle of wine. I'm always touched someone has thought of me to buy a gift. And now I don't send it to the charity shop.

Please
or

Mudandrain · 22/11/2021 22:14

Teacher here. I love getting gifts 🙂 Even the 'Best Teacher' mugs.

Please
or

AnnaSW1 · 22/11/2021 22:17

Looks like it's just you op!

Please
or

lorisparkle · 22/11/2021 22:21

I love all the gifts too - I have the magnets on my fridge, treasure the mugs, enjoy all the food and drink. In my first ever class I was given a set of metal bowls - over twenty years later I still use them and think about the little girl whose family bought them for me even though they did not have a huge amount of money.

It is not about the gift it is about the thought and I appreciate everyone.

Please
or

Youknownothingsnow · 22/11/2021 22:23

Enjoy it, us social workers rarely get anything! I can count on one hand the number of gifts I’ve received 😂 I’m not bitter honest!!

Please
or

pinkksugarmouse · 22/11/2021 22:25

@Chr1stmasCarole

I don't think they're a pain, no.... I'm always touched that somebody has made the effort. They're not necessary though and as most of my families are on very low incomes, I'd rather they spent the money on themselves.

I understand it’s the thought that counts but like you I worked with a lot of children with parents on a low income and I just wished so much that they would keep their money. I think if parents know other parents are getting gifts they feel obliged to do the same.

Now a card made by the children is a true treasure, especially when they sign it themselves and it’s not long since they learned to write their own name. That brings a lump to my throat. I still have those.
When I was supporting older children I got cards with their brand new joined up writing too. I have a boxful of cards. I might have a look through them this Christmas, head down memory lane.
OP's posts:
Please
or

RedToothBrush · 22/11/2021 22:26

I figure you give something that can be consumed or regifted or a voucher.

Avoid the personalised stuff or something which the teacher can end up with a cupboard full (that means ditch the mugs and teddies).

Plants for someone with a garden are always a good idea too.

Please
or

Didiusfalco · 22/11/2021 22:27

I think, as with most jobs, teachers aren’t one homogeneous bunch with a single opinion.

Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 22/11/2021 22:29

I agree with the tat giving for colleagues and acquaintances in general - half of it is destined for landfill and it does need to stop. But I can’t see what’s wrong with booze, chocolate or vouchers.

With schools - low income families is a good point - but why don’t the schools ban presents then??

Please
or

flashy44 · 22/11/2021 22:30

Oh poor you

Please
or

Mistressiggi · 22/11/2021 22:30

As a secondary teacher, who therefore doesn't get gifts, I would love just one "best teacher" mug. Maybe I should buy it for myself! Blush

Please
or

RAFHercules · 22/11/2021 22:35

My adult DS still sends one of his old high school teachers a bouquet to the school every Christmas. He thinks the world of her.

Please
or

Grida · 22/11/2021 22:36

I love the gifts!

Please
or

Cryingbutstilltrying · 22/11/2021 22:38

Would a small gift for dds form tutor (year 7) be appreciated, teachers on this thread? All her teachers would be a stretch but her tutor has made a big effort with settling in. They keep the same form tutor throughout if possible, and she’s also new to the school. Thinking I might buy some brownie points for when dd inevitably starts messing about 😩

Please
or

WhenSheWasBad · 22/11/2021 22:41

Would a small gift for dds form tutor (year 7) be appreciated, teachers on this thread

It would be hugely appreciated. Secondary teachers don’t get many gifts, I know it would mean a lot.

Please
or

katienana · 22/11/2021 22:43

Our school has banned presents as part of poverty proofing, its great! I donate to the food bank through school instead.

Please
or

Bellfor · 22/11/2021 22:48

Tat just for the sake of buying something, yes I agree (and party bags and gifts in general) but stationery, wine or chocs will always get used. Even if the teacher doesn't drink/eat choc they can easily be regifted.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.