Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Does anyone still do Janet and Roy?

WildFlowerBees · 28/10/2021 19:38

We did one once to friends who were getting married they were really very stressed about who these people were who would be attending their wedding with their small children.

Are they still going? I'd do one for someone.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Dontforgetyourbrolly · 03/12/2021 08:12

We used to get one every year in our old office! Magical! We had no idea who they were but eagerly read their updates

Please
or

Allthatglittersandgold · 03/12/2021 08:12

Brilliant, I need to do this!

It was my first Christmas in my new house last year and without looking at the name I tore the card open, it was meant for the previous owner. Usual round robin stuff but then it turned really twatty and went on about how sorry they were that the next town to us was locked down and they weren't. It also confessed (without any apology) that they had been stockpiling soup and loo roll. It was a nice card so i put up, along with about 5 more sent to the previous owner.

Please
or

Costumeidea · 03/12/2021 08:56

@00100001

That is AMAZING GrinGrinGrin

Please
or

BlowDryRat · 03/12/2021 09:04

@Lalliella

Umm - GDPR?!!

GDPR doesn't apply to private individuals.

The Janet and Roy threads were originally run by CatThiefKeith but she sadly died. It's nice to see them carrying on, she would love that.
Please
or

horizontilting · 03/12/2021 10:36

@girlmom21

I have an auntie Janet and Uncle Roy. I feel cheated.

Have you ever actually seen them? Or just the correspondence your parents have been showing you all your life...
Please
or

horizontilting · 03/12/2021 10:37

Bloody love these threads. Makes me all nostalgic.

Please
or

Didiusfalco · 03/12/2021 10:47

@00100001 this is brilliant. You’ve absolutely nailed the spirit of Janet and Roy from years gone by!

Please
or

horizontilting · 03/12/2021 11:17

@Mummylin

Seeing Janet & Roy coming round once again reminded me, I have never told my brother and sil the truth, I was very lucky and my writer sent 3 cards the last one stating they would be arriving in their caravan with the 5 dogs, but they could just park outside their house so not to go to any trouble ! And this is from 7 yrs ago , time to fess up or leave it ?

This is the one I remember! I still think of that little saga randomly at Christmas and it always cheers me right up.
Please
or

CommonRoom · 03/12/2021 12:05

@00100001

That is a brilliant Janet and Roy. I would be happy to send it from London.

Please
or

TheDogsMother · 03/12/2021 12:18

This is brilliant. I'm happy to send one from West Sussex and would love it if someone could send one to my husband.

Please
or

KateInHappyland · 03/12/2021 12:34

First time hearing of this, sounds hilarious! May have to send a few. Xmas Grin

Please
or

HaggisBurger · 03/12/2021 12:34

@Lalliella

Umm - GDPR?!!

😂

Do you understand what kind of data the DPA 2018 applies to? (Info “collected” for your own personal, family or household purposes is exempt - otherwise we would have stringent rules for our own address books!)

And that it applies to businesses and organisations, not private individuals?

Don’t be worrying about GDPR ….
Please
or

Helpstopthepain · 03/12/2021 12:52

@Zarene

Janet and Roy send my DBro a Cliff Richard calendar every year. He is baffled.

That is the best tradition ever! Grin
Please
or

Helpstopthepain · 03/12/2021 12:56

@00100001 Fabulous!

Please
or

TheFairPrincess · 03/12/2021 13:26

Omg, my parents' names are Janet and Roy and they do send Christmas cards in the post to quite a few people Grin

Please
or

Exhausteddog · 03/12/2021 13:39

Is it too late to request a Janet and Roy letter to send to my IL?
DCs cousin has caught us out with several pranks so would be nice to reciprocate Wink

Please
or

Exhausteddog · 03/12/2021 13:41

I'm worried that actually Janet and Roy would have been much more efficient and sorted out their letters ages ago!Blush

Please
or

00100001 · 03/12/2021 13:54

DO you want one written for you @Exhausteddog ?

Please
or

froomeonthebroom · 03/12/2021 14:01

Dear

Well, another year is coming to an end and what a year it has been!

In January, after such high hopes for our annual Mediterranean cruise, it was unfortunately postponed again and we decided to cancel. You can't be too careful with all these different strains of coronavirus in Europe so we have booked an alternative break in Northampton for next year. Janet is very much looking forward to visiting the famous architecture!

Lock down was of course hard on us all, especially David as he wasn't able to come for his Sunday dinners. He said he had lots of lovely takeaways with his new friend Graham, but I'm sure he missed his weekly visits and catching up on the neighbourhood news. Janet spent her time perfecting her wonderful soprano and Roy has started to learn the trombone to accompany her. We will be sure to give a concert at our next get together!

After Roy had done some thorough research we decided that we should have our Covid jabs in May. It was very stressful, especially because Janet felt out of sorts for a few days afterwards. Roy was very diligent and called the Doctor everyday until she felt better. What an excellent nurse he is!

In July we received the upsetting news that Pat had died. She will be sadly missed by everyone at the Scottish Dancing club.

In September Roy's stamp collecting club started meeting again and he is very keen to attend the convention in Wrexham, covid allowing of course.

Janet still enjoys life, despite her "women's problems". A hysterectomy has been suggested by Roy but, as we know, the NHS isn't what it was under Maggie!

We must get together next year, it's been far too long.

With love, Janet and Roy

Please
or

rumblypumbly · 03/12/2021 14:03

I'll send one for someone if someone will do one for me. Im in glasgow

Please
or

Exhausteddog · 03/12/2021 14:05

@00100001

Yes pls! Do I have to do a reciprocal one?

Please
or

JesusInTheCabbageVan · 03/12/2021 14:07

@girlmom21

I have an auntie Janet and Uncle Roy. I feel cheated.

Maybe you only think you do....
Please
or

JesusInTheCabbageVan · 03/12/2021 14:11

@Lalliella

Umm - GDPR?!!

I do hope your job doesn't involve anything GDPR related.

"Oh hello, I was wondering if you could tell me -"
"NO!"
"But I just -"
"I said no! It is forbidden!"

Grin
Please
or

00100001 · 03/12/2021 14:32

[quote Exhausteddog]@00100001

Yes pls! Do I have to do a reciprocal one?[/quote]
Dear So and So,

What a wonderful year it's been! Roy finally took the plunge and joined the local am-dram society and was cast as Widow Twanky in the village show! He's been gathering all his props most of the year, and now boasts an impressive collection of stockings, heels, dresses and wigs. He likes to practise his act each weekend, and has found alike minded bunch of chaps to help him along with it all. I am excited to see the show - II took the liberty and booked four 4 tickets for the Saturday Matinee. We should go for a meal beforehand perhaps? The Waggoners in the next village does a lovely supper on a Saturday. Please let me know if you want dessert, and 'll book the trolley.

Myself, I've taken up salsa dancing! I did put my back out on week 3, so haven't actually been since February, but it's a wonderful hobby and such good fun. Keeps me fit and gets me out of the house. I had hoped to take an exam, but the leader says I'm not ready yet. It's such a shame because I did start in January, so it has been almost a year of being a salsa dancer (in spirit, if not in body!).

In other news the neighbours hedge trimming issues have been resolved. No longer will their stragglers be encroaching on our drive way! Hooray. And it was all done quite amicably really. Roy went over to see John on the other side, who told him how to word the matter correctly. I had advised we continue give pointed stares every time, but I do admit that hadn't been working. Roy and John popped over to see Terry an they all had a wonderful evening of Brandy drinking, and the bush is lovely to behold now.

Do you remember Sandra? The lady who lives down Dogger's Lane? In the cottage, with her cats. Well it turns out that her niece, Olivia, is a lesbian! Yes, a lesbian! Well, I've never met one before, and she just happened to pop by as I was visiting with a cheery cake I'd made. She'd brought her "girlfriend" with her. I was all a fluster. Do lesbians eat cherry cake? I was worried, and didn't know where to look, or if I should offer. Luckily Sandra went into the kitchen to make a cup of tea, so I asked her discretely there. What a relief, it turns out it was fine, as apparently being a lesbian doesn't impact on your diet - this modern world we live in, full of social unknowns.

Unfortunately we didn't get to go to Hastings this year, as that was the weekend of petrol shortages- also I hadn't managed to get Roy to the barbers that month - so it's probably just as well.

Rogers says hello by the way and asks if he can pop in on Boxing Day. Please do ring him, his number hasn't changed.

I look forward to seeing you again in the New Year for our annual gathering of us "Old Drangles" - I'm bringing a trifle!!

Best Wishes
Janet and Roy

Please
or

Flyinggeese1234 · 03/12/2021 14:42

@Lalliella what do you actually mean?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.