Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Tablets for kids 7&9

DeathMetalMum · 18/08/2019 11:07

We're pretty certain kids main present from us is going to be a tablet. Dd1 Will be almost 9 come Christmas any suggestions on a good tablet for them? I'm thinking no more than £100 I have looked at Amazon fire and fire for kids but I'm not sure if dd1 Will be too old for the kids version. Plus are the fire tablets limited to certain apps with their operating system?

OP's posts:
Please
or

SquintEastwood · 18/08/2019 15:03

My 6yo bought a £50 Alba tablet from Argos with her birthday money in March and other than battery life is just as good as our old Samsung one.

She was given an older Kindle Fire by a family member when they upgraded and we really didn't like the limited operating system and felt that the app store was lacking.

Please
or

MileyWiley · 18/08/2019 16:39

Amazon Fire kids tablet - by far the best. Come with a 2 year warranty. Buy on Black Friday and will be half price.

Please
or

Someaddedsugar · 18/08/2019 16:42

My advice would be don't bother buying the kids Fire - just buy the normal version on Black Friday as you can set up a kids profile really easily, and then buy the case and screen protector separately - I think ours was about £20 cheaper than the kids version. If your eldest wanted a more grown up profile, you can set up an admin account with a pin code and then have a second profile on the tablet that can be configured to have privacy settings etc which might make it a bit less childlike for him.

Please
or

theboywonteat · 18/08/2019 19:18

Like Someaddedsugar we got the normal fire plus a case for our 8 year old last Christmas while his younger sister got the kids version. We set up a child profile & he has access to loads & loads of games, audiobooks etc. He’s now 9 & still uses it daily - mostly playing on Roblox. We have a pin set up so we can restrict content by age rating, and can also set daily time limits, including setting different amounts of time for games versus videos or reading. We got ours on Black Friday & would definitely recommend - it’s been brilliant so far.

Please
or

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts · 19/08/2019 00:02

I would go for a regular kindle fire, they go to around £25 on black Friday. dd1 had hers for 5 years, we just adjusted the age on the parental settings as she got older. she's nearly 11 now, the charging port has just broken. the only reason we aren't replacing is she was getting DH old phone anyway, as she's starting to go on sleepovers and possibly starting to walk to school alone soon.

you can get really child proof cases, her kindle was perfect condition still, not a mark on it! she could get all the apps she wanted and was able to watch crappy YouTube videos on there too 😂

my 7 year old still loves hers and is on it as long as the time limit allows 🤣

Please
or

HobbyIsCodeForDogging · 19/08/2019 10:35

Kind of a related question and I hope you don't mind me asking here - what can you do on an iPad or android tablet that you can't do on a Fire? What would I miss out on if I went for a Fire?

Please
or

DeathMetalMum · 20/08/2019 08:03

It has a different operating system and while it's android the Amazon operating system means you can't get Google play as the app store. We have a fire tablet that is a couple of years old, that has been joint use and sometimes dd's have asked for apps that we can't get on the fire tablet but dp and I have been able to download them on our android phones.

Other than that I don't think there's a huge difference.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?