Mumsnet State of the Nation
Here at Mumsnet we are delving deep into the minds of Mumsnetters to bring you a series of insight reports. We will be providing detailed analysis of Mumsnetters' opinions on a wide variety of topics from beauty to cars, holidays and more. First up is beauty - below is a short summary of the key findings, and the full report and dataset are available to buy by clicking on the links below.
We asked Mumsnetters about all things beauty-related. As you can probably imagine, we had a million and one questions we wanted to ask, but managed to distill our list into three key areas - make-up, skincare and haircare. Below is a brief taster of the key findings.
The low down
• Mum's definitely the word, with the majority of Mumsnetters saying they are willing to buy a product after seeing it reviewed or recommended on Mumsnet. Discussions from the Talk boards also revealed Mumsnetters regularly ask each other for beauty advice on a wide variety of topics, from how to cover dark circles to which foundation to wear on your wedding day.
• Must-have beauty brands and products are diverse, with Mumsnetters saying they are regular buyers of premium brands such as Clinique, YSL and Mac, as well as more affordable brands such as Boots No7, Maybelline and Max Factor.
• Mumsnetters are united in their opinions of beauty advertising, with an overwhelming majority mentioning words such as patronising, airbrushed, unrealistic and unscientific. However there was one particular advertising campaign that stood out from the crowd…download the report to find out which one it was!
• Peer-to-peer recommendation is key, with three quarters of Mumsnetters saying they would buy (or already have bought) a beauty product after seeing it recommended on Mumsnet.
• Haircare attracts the highest monthly spend among Mumsnetters, followed by skincare and finally make-up products.
Download Mumsnet State of the Nation Beauty report
Download Mumsnet State of the Nation Beauty Report with full data set
If this summary has whet your appetite and you want to find out more, the full Mumsnet State of the Nation Beauty Report is available to download (for a small fee!)
The report can be purchased for £100, and the report and survey dataset can be bought together for £150. Please click on the links to the left to order and pay, you will then be sent the report via email shortly afterwards.
The Mumsnet Insight team asks Mumsnetters what they think about everything under the sun on a regular basis. We also ask them to do lots of product testing - if you have a brand or product you'd like to consult Mumsnetters on, please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: about 1 year ago