What should I do if I'm worried about my child but the GP says nothing is wrong?

If you're worried about your child, but your doctor says there is nothing wrong, there are other ways to go about getting an assessment.

Remember that no one knows your child better than you do and that sometimes what may be obvious to a parent may not even raise an eyebrow of a medical professional. Always respect your gut instinct.

If you're not getting anywhere with your GP, and your child is at school, or at a preschool attached to a school, you should approach your child's special education needs coordinator (SENCO).

"I approached my GP and demanded a referral to a paediatrician. Don't take no for an answer. It may not be a developmental paediatrician you get to see straight away; a community paediatrician will do some simple checks, will ask you questions and can refer you on if necessary." Mumsnetter mysonben

You can also approach your health visitor, or another GP, and ask to be referred to a paediatrician for a proper assessment.

"If you feel in your heart there is a problem that needs addressing, I would definitely insist on a referral," says one Mumsnetter. "I resorted to taking my husband with me, writing down all our concerns beforehand, stated our case and told the GP we 'wanted him to refer'."

Don't accept no for an answer if you're unhappy. 

Last updated: about 3 years ago