Help with council tax and utility bills



Council Tax reduction

Having a child with a disability does not automatically entitle you to a reduction in your council tax, but you may be entitled to a discount if your home is larger/adapted due to reasons related to your child's disability, for example:

  • It has an additional bathroom or kitchen required to meet their needs
  • There is a dedicated additional room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) required to meet the needs of the child
  • Extra space is required inside the property to allow a wheelchair user to access the property

You may also be entitled to a discount if your child is 'severely mentally impaired' and entitled to the Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or highest rate.

If you are eligible for a discount, then your bill will be reduced to that of a property in the next Council Tax band down: for example, a Band D property will be charged at Band C rate.


Water rates

Some water companies offer a discount if there is someone in the house who has a specific condition (such as incontinence) that means they need to use more water. Have a look on your local water company's website and contact them for more information.


Fuel bills

Some energy (gas and electric) suppliers offer a discounted tariff for people who get certain benefits, such as DLA.

Ring your energy supplier and ask for information, or shop around and see which provider can offer you the best deal. But keep on the ball, tariffs are often changing.



Last updated: about 3 years ago