Disabled Facilities Grants

If it's necessary to adapt your home in order for you to continue to live there, you may be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant from your local council.

"We have had hand rails for the stairs, toilet rail, some step thingys and a rail on the bath fitted. The lady just looked round the whole house, asked what difficulties my daughter had and what I thought may help." FioFio

You can claim if you or a member of your family needs adaptions to be made to improve access to their home (such as improving mobility around the home) and intends to live in the home for at least five years.

If you don't own your home, your landlord may apply on your behalf.

The sort of work that might be covered by a Disabled Facilities Grant includes things such as:

  • Widening doors
  • Installing ramps
  • Installing a downstairs bathroom

The maximum grant payable is:

  • Up to £25,000 in Northern Ireland
  • Up to £30,000 in England
  • Up to £36,000 in Wales
  • Payments in Scotland are dependent on your local council


Last updated: about 3 years ago