6 reasons why breastfeeding is NOT like peeing
Over the last few days, there's been a bit of fuss and bother about a baby's right to be breastfed in public - rather than in a corner, say, or the toilets. Some commentators have argued that, while breastfeeding is natural, so is urination - and we don't do that in public.
So, for the sake of clarity, here are 6 reasons why breastfeeding and urinating in public are not the same. At all.
1. Because breastfeeding is not, in any way, shape or form, unsanitary
2. Because your urine is not the sole source of survival for another individual
3. Because it doesn't involve taking something out in public which could get you arrested
4. Because the rule, 'If you sprinkle while you tinkle, be a sweetie and wipe the seaty', cannot be applied
5. Because you don't drink pee (unless you're doing some Bear Grylls shizzle...)
6. And finally, for those who've likened breastfeeding in public to having sex in full view: breastfeeding is not like having sex because it's not, um, sexual. If it makes you feel sexy, we'd keep quiet about that if we were you.
- Mumsnet home
- What happened when Facebook removed a breastfeeding photo from Mumsnet's page
- Breastfeeding advice and support
- Join Mumsnet
Last updated: about 1 year ago