Timeless recipes passed on from mum
To celebrate Mother's Day, we asked two Mumsnetters to share the recipes they inherited from their mums. Watch the videos, and find everything you need to recreate these delicious and easy dishes below
Chicken and mushroom stir-fry
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1 pack of chestnut mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 ginger
- 1 red bell pepper
- Flat leaf parsley/coriander
- 500g rice
- Sunflower oil
- Light soy sauce
- White ground pepper
- Chicken stock
- Cut chicken breasts into strips and marinate them with soy sauce, cinnamon, ground white pepper and coat the strips with cornflour.
- Cut onion, chestnut mushrooms and spring onions into strips of similar size as chicken.
- Cut ginger into thin strips and crush garlic and prepare the basic sauce with soy sauce, cinnamon, pepper and chicken stock. Thicken with cornflour.
- Put the wok on a high heat and add oil. Add chicken pieces and stir fry for 3 min. Set aside.
- Add more oil, then add onion, mushrooms and white part of spring onion. Stir for 3 min.
- Add chicken pieces. Stir in sauce. Stir and add more water if required.
- Add green part of spring onion and stir a few times. Serve on a plate and garnish with chopped parsley/coriander.
- 400g/101⁄2oz flour
- 175g/6oz unrefined brown sugar
- 200g/7oz olive oil spread/soya spread
- Handful sultanas raisins
- Ground almonds
- 2 cups granola
- 2 cups porridge oats
- 450g/1lb apples peeled – cored and cut into 1cm pieces
- 50g/2oz white sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Place the flour and sugar in a large bowl and mix well.
- Taking a few cubes of butter at a time, rub into the flour mixture. Keep rubbing until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Place the fruit in a large bowl and sprinkle over the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir well being careful not to break up the fruit.
- Butter a 24cm/9in ovenproof dish. Spoon the fruit mixture into the bottom, then sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the crumble is browned and the fruit mixture bubbling.