Welcome to Mumsnet!

We’re delighted you’ve found us. Join in the conversation on the UK's busiest site for parents

Get started »

Register with HRMC

Actually, this is another must. Once you've settled on whether to go self-employed or to start a limited company, HMRC will need to know what you're up to.

You can only register after you've started trading and then within three months, or you’ll face fines for non-compliance. Get more information straight from the HMRC on registering for Self Assessment and registering for Self Assessment and National Insurance contributions if you are a self-employed sole trader. For Limited Companies - the HMRC website and your accountant will give you all the information you need.

Barclays Bank plc takes no responsibility for the content of third party websites or the views and recommendations expressed by named third parties in this webpage. The material on this webpage is for information only. Barclays Bank PLC. Registered in England. Barclays Bank PLC is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA). Registered No 1026167. Barclays Insurance Services Company Limited is authorised and regulated by the FSA. Registered No 973765. Registered Office for both: 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP. Barclays Business is a trading name of Barclays Bank PLC. Barclays Bank PLC subscribes to the Lending Code which is monitored and enforced by the Lending Standards Board and is licensed and regulated by the Office of Fair Trading for the provision of credit products to consumers and related services. Further details can be found at www.lendingstandardsboard.org.uk

Last updated: over 3 years ago