Beat the January blues
January can often be the time of year we most feel glum, but there's no need - why not seize the new year, and make a new start in the best place for it, your home. B&Q has everything you need to add vibrant colours to the home and make your start to 2013 the best yet.
New Year interior updating tips
Here's our suggestion of the best ways to inject a splash of colour into your home with the minimum of fuss and cost.
Freshening up walls with a lick of paint is the most obvious but easiest way to make a difference. Either go bright and bold with vibrant colours or just repaint slightly shabbier walls with white emulsion.
- Be on top of the trend and add bold pattern curtains to the sitting room.
- If you don't fancy getting the paintbrushes out, adding colour can be as easy as buying a few vibrant cushions, which will stand out on chairs for an uplifting look for 2013. Why not try B&Q's Colours Canopy Stripe cushion, only £7.98.
- A new lamp can really brighten things up and bring new atmosphere into your home, and is a perfect budget option if you're recovering from the post-Christmas spend.
- First impressions really count. Paint exterior doors to create a warm welcoming feel to your home for any visitors over the New Year.
- Paint the ends of shelves in vibrant yellows or blues to stand out against plain walls for a creative and fun update in the study or sitting room.
- Look out for savvy home bargains in the January sales, such like B&Q’s winter event which started in mid-December. Check out new deals daily here.
- Remember you can update the home as the year goes. Make inexpensive personal touches by updating your homes picture frames with memoires from recent years as well as those to come in 2013.
Last updated: almost 2 years ago