How to deal with a smelly washing machine
Washing machines - generally one of the hardest working appliances in the house (apart from you, obviously). But what's the solution if a mysterious mouldy pong starts to pervade your house and the source is traced back to your machine?
Before you go on to your own spin cycle, have a gander at Mumsnetters' tips on how to banish horrid smells.
- Stick the empty washing machine on a 90° wash once a month
- Do a 60° cycle and use white vinegar in the detergent tray
- Get a washing machine descaler and do a long 60° washing cycle (empty, of course)
- Lemon juice - lots of it
- Do a hot wash with soda crystals thrown in
- Use biological detergent every now and then
- Clean the inside of the drum with vinegar, including the seal
- Use washing powder not liquid
Have we missed something?
Last updated: almost 2 years ago