42 cheap buys that have improved your lives
1. Egg poaching bags - "perfect poached eggs with no faff, makes my breakfast much happier!"
2. Reusable ice cubes - "no more warm or watery drinks and I don't have to use a sledgehammer every time I want a cold beverage
can also put them in beer"
3. Scrudle - "gets leftovers out of my big slow cooker much quicker and more effectively than a ladle"
4. Ice cream scoop - "no more bent spoons"
5. Slow cooker - "healthier, tastier, and cheaper"
6. Kitchen tongs - "I used to fumble around with two forks"
7. Disposable trays - "I batch cook and dump the tray, so some evenings I am cooking and washing up free"
8. Café type sugar dispenser - "no more messy sugar bowls"
9. Jumbo sized bottle of Fairy liquid - "I'm pathetically impressed by its longevity!"
10. Microfibre cloths - "so much a part of my life!"
Beauty doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg
11. Shampoo bars from Lush - "I was getting through a small fortune in Aussie products but this little £5 bar that I had no faith in at all has been going for a month now and looks barely touched"
13. Tan wipes - "saves time on bronzer in the morning"
15. Eye mask - "I am no longer disturbed by various lights going on"
16. Towel turban
Fashion fixes faster than you can say Gok Wan
17. Memory foam insoles - "they have made my cheap wellies a billion times more wearable"
18. Micro Stitch - "holds camisoles in place if you attach it to your bra straps"
19. Thinsulate beanie - "goes under my bike helmet, keeps me warm all winter"
20. Fleece lined tights - "have made winters bearable, even in the very north of Scotland"
21. Shoe horn - "I no longer have to listen to DH swearing to himself as he puts his work shoes on, I think it's improved his life a bit as well"
Happily make your bed and lie in it
22. Sheet grippers - "no more waking up in the night tangled in the sheet"
25. Colour catcher washing net - "before, every time we did a wash the washing machine would beep and stop"
Image credit: Giphy.com
26. Audiobooks - "revolutionises long journeys with small children"
28. Kindle - "not super-cheap but has made my journey to work and back a zillion times more bearable"
29. Travel mug - "saves me more than it cost"
Improving life since 1969
30. Now TV and Netflix - "we don't get to go out much in the evenings so we get a lot of use for the money"
31. Amazon Prime - "saves me a fortune on deliveries and means I can get things fast"
32. WhatsApp - "for keeping in touch with family, now I live miles away"
All the bits that didn't really fit anywhere else but still essential
33. IKEA bags - "make splendid trolley liners, then straight into the car boot"
34. Trolley coin on a keyring
35. 12 ballpoint pens from the pound shop - "no scrabbling about trying to find a writing implement (and not having to resort to a stubby pencil or purple crayon)"
36. Ear plugs
37. Kindle beanbag - "makes reading no hands in bed so much easier"
38. Halogen heater - "I put it on in the morning to warm up our freezing cold bathroom. It makes it lovely and toasty in 10 mins"
39. Hot water bottle - "has improved my life happiness by about five percentage points"
Ahh, the best things in life are not things
40. Café grub - "£5 or so in the café every couple of weeks. It's one of the few things that teen DD2 consents to do with DP and I, and it means we actually get a little chat with her!"
41. A pint - "over 20 years ago I got chatting to a very nice man in a pub and bought him a pint, to keep him talking. He has just brought me a cup of tea in bed, as he does every morning he isn't working. That pint was probably the best cheap purchase ever"
42. A cat - "£20 from a rescue centre a decade ago and she's loved me ferociously everyday since. Seriously the best £20 ever spent"
Liked this? Then you'll probably like these:
|35 things you NEED
to buy at Ikea
|How to budget|
Last updated: over 2 years ago