1 tbsp icing sugar to dust
2 tbsp caster sugar
500ml mascarpone cheese
50g unsalted butter
250g ginger biscuits
- Put pack of biscuits into a sealable freezer bag, expel excess air, seal and crush with a rolling pin to breadcrumb consistency (just roll with the pin if you are feeling at one with the world - or bash heavily if had a bad day at work and have come home to pile of ironing/housework/unanswered voicemails).
- Pour crushed biscuits into a bowl.
- Melt the butter and add to the biscuits.
- Stir through and then pour into a loose-bottomed cake tin or similar.
- Press down to compact the crushed biscuits with a potato masher or spoon. Cover and put in the fridge for a minimum of half an hour. (Can be left like this overnight.)
- Put all the marscapone in a separate bowl.
- Grate the rind of one lemon and set aside for later.
- Juice four lemons and one lime and add to the marscapone.
- Add the caster sugar and stir thoroughly. Add more sugar to taste if you prefer it sweeter.
- Pour the marscapone mixture into the cake tin, smooth the top with a spoon or spatula, cover with tinfoil and put in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours to set.
When you are ready to serve, remove from the fridge, loose sides with knife, then push up the base slowly and then use a fish slice to slide of the base and into a plate dusted with icing sugar.
Sprinkle lemon zest on top to decorate.
Kids can help
Biscuit and sweets