Serves: 12(1 Vote)
200g self-raising flour
100g butter or margarine
100g caster sugar
1 tbsp milk
1 pinch salt
50g raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7, 425F.
- Grease and flour baking tray.
- Mix flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Rub in butter/margarine using fingertips.
- Stir in caster sugar and then make a well in the centre.
- Whisk eggs lightly and stir in with a wooden spoon, mix in the milk.
- On a floured board, knead the mixture and divide into 12 pieces.
- Shape each one into a round bun and place on the prepared baking tray.
- Make a hollow in the centre by gently pushing your thumb into the centre and then put the jam in the middle.
- Bake for 10-12 mins, until well risen and brown. Cool on a wire rack.
I have never measured out the jam I use about a teaspoon in each bun. Other Variations: Use other jams such as apricot, gooseberry, blackcurrant, Cherry, Strawberry or worth trying any jam. You can try flavour bun mixture by adding 1 tsp granted lemon rind or a large pinch cinnamon, or mixed spice. Use lemon or orange curd instead of jam.
Kids can help