2 big size good potatoes for frying (or 3-4 medium size )
1 Spanish onion
3 big potatoes (1kg)
100g baby spinach
50g jamón ibérico
8 free range eggs
2 splashes Spanish olive oil for frying
- Peel, wash and thinly slice the potatoes and Spanish onions in half moon shape slices.
- Pour enough olive oil in a deep frying pan to cover all the onion and potatoes (but without them) over a high heat.
- Once the oil is hot and when dropping a slice of onion it start frying immediately then you can add all the onion.
- Cook it for around 5 minutes until is transparent and then add the sliced potatoes.
- Cook them stirring from time to time for at least 15 minutes until they are soft and cooked throughout.
- Drain the potatoes from the oil with a colander (keep the oil for other uses) and mix with the egg, baby spinach, thinly chopped jamón ibérico and season with salt.
- To make the tortilla place a non-sticking pan over a medium heat and drizzle a bit of olive oil.
- Pour the tortilla mix inside the pan and lower the heat to a minimum. After 3 minutes and with the help of a plate (always wider than the pan ) cover the pan and holding it tight with your hand flip the side of the tortilla and slide the 'one-side-cooked' tortilla back into the pan for an extra 3 minutes. Note: If it is the first time you flip a tortilla, you better practice with the plate and an empty pan first.
- Depending on the size and depth of the pan in relation with the amount of tortilla mix, it will take longer or shorter in being cooked. I recommend to eat the tortilla when still runny in the middle.