Serves: 4(1 Vote)
As needed Salt, Pepper, Cayenne
200g Bread Crumbs
2 tablespoons Milk
2 tablespoons Flour
As needed Oil
3 chicken breast
- First make your bread crumbs.
- Keep any old crusts and stale bread (but not mouldy!) in a bag in the freezer.
- When you get around 250g or more, make the crumbs by baking the bread scraps for around 20 mins at 180 degrees Centigrade (Gas Mark 4). Ideally, the bread should be largely dry, but not too brown.
- Crush, either by putting a bag and battering with a rolling pin, or use a food processor - if doing this by hand the bread will need to be crisp.
- Cut the chicken into strips or nuggets - as long as you like and around 1cm thick.
- Put about 2 tablespoons of flour in a wide bowl - e.g. the type of bowl used for pasta - and add the seasonings - cayenne is good, but can get very hot.
- Break an egg into another bowl and beat with 2 tablespoons of milk and a bit of salt to make an eggwash.
- Finally put some of the crumbs into another bowl.
Now for the messy part.
- Coat each strip firstly with the seasoned flour, then with the egg-wash and finally with the crumbs.
- Put the strips on a baking tray as you make them.
- When all the strips have been prepared, drizzle them with some olive oil. (Middle class satire is optional at this point).
- Bake them in the oven - again 180 degrees Centigrade/ Gas Mark 4 - for about 15 minutes.
- Cut open a large one to check they are cooked.
Serve either hot or cold.
Quantities are very approxiamate.
Any bread crumbs that have been made, but not used, can be re-frozen.
Kids can help