½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 green chilli deseeded and finely sliced
3 cm fresh root ginger peeled and grated
200 ml water
1 tsp cumin seeds dry roasted in a small frying pan
2 tsp coriander seeds dry roasted in a small frying pan
2 garlic cloves crushed
½ tsp ground turmeric
300 ml half-fat coconut milk
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 large aubergine cut lengthways into 5mm-thick slices
salt and pepper to taste
- Crush roasted cumin and coriander seeds in a pestle and mortar.
- Place in a large saucepan along with the cayenne, turmeric, chilli, garlic and ginger, and add the water.
- Bring to a simmer, then add the coconut milk and tamarind paste.
- Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- Place aubergine slices on a foil-lined baking tray and brush with a little of the curried sauce.
- Grill until they are soft and cooked through, turning once and brushing the other side with the sauce – about 10-15 minutes.
- Place aubergine in a serving dish, and spoon the rest of the hot curry sauce over.
- If you want rice with your curry, include 50g brown basmati per person. It’s a decent Fast Day source of slow-release carbohydrates, and is nutty and nutrient-rich (+77 calories).
173 calories per portion (250 with brown basmati rice)