1 pint chicken stock
1/2 large sweet potato
3 medium potatoes
1 tbsp butter
3 smoked haddock fillets
1 splash milk or cream
1 pinch parsley or cayenne pepper
- In a large pan, fry chopped onion in butter until it starts to soften.
- Chop potato and sweet potato into fairly small chunks.
- Add to pan and pour stock over.
- Simmer gently (with lid on) for at least 30 mins, until the potato is soft and starts to break down.
- Cut the haddock into chunks and add to pan.
- Simmer for about 4-5 mins.
- The mix should now be fairly soft and lumpy. You can either blitz with a hand whisk or leave lumps in.
- Add milk or cream to get the consistency you want.
- Add fresh parsley or a sprinkle of cayenne, depending on preferred tastes, and serve with fresh bread.
Frozen smoked haddock is just as good and is much cheaper.