1 medium onion chopped
1 pinch black pepper
1 handful parsley chopped
3 sticks celery finely chopped
3 tbsp sherry
2 cloves garlic chopped
500g fresh or frozen and thoroughly defrosted chicken livers
- Prepare the chicken livers by removing any stringy bits.
- Melt 100g of the butter in a large frying pan and sautee the onions, celery and garlic gently until softened.
- Add the livers and cook for about 10 minutes (turn halfway through the cooking time) until still slightly pink in the middle.
- Turn up the heat a bit and deglaze the pan with the sherry.
- Tip the lot into a food processor, season with plenty of black pepper, add the parsley and blitz until desired consistency is reached (smooth really suits this particular combination though).
- Transfer into a tub and smooth down. Melt the remaining butter, remove the froth and pour the clarified butter over the top of the pate to protect it from the air to keep it fresh.
- When cool, cover and refrigerate or freeze to keep for another occasion.
Great in individual pots that can be easily defrosted and brought out as an impressive starter - serve with toast and a salad garnish. No fuss entertaining!