1 tbsp flour
1 large onion roughly chopped
1 pint stock
1 bouquet garni
500g stewing steak diced
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas Mark 3.
- In a big casserole dish, heat some oil.
- Lob in the meat, onion, whole carrots and flour.
- Brown for a bit.
- While it's browning, wash and slice (don't peel) the potatoes.
- Add the stock to the pan, and the bouquet garni.
- Layer the potatoes on top (like a hotpot).
- Cook in oven with lid on for as long as possible (2 hours minimum), then take the lid off and turn up the heat until the potatoes are browned and crispy.
- Remember to take the bouquet garni out before serving.
When and how to freeze: Cover with a tight layer of clingfilm and freeze after baking.
How long will it last?: Up to six months
How do I cook it?: Put it in the fridge overnight to defrost, then cook as normal