1 pint milk
1lb white fish
8oz smoked fish
2oz plain flour
6 big potatoes
- Boil the potatoes.
- While they are cooking poach the fish in the milk until it is cooked.
- Remove the fish and keep the milk to one side.
- Rinse the pan, melt the butter and add the flour.
- Cook for a couple of minutes then slowly add the milk stirring all the time until a smooth sauce.
- Let it bubble a little then squeeze in the juice of the lemon and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Flake the fish and add back in. Pour mixture into a shallow dish. Mash the potatoes add a little milk and butter, add 3/4 of the grated cheese.
- Spread the mashed potato and cheese over the fish then sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins