Serves: 20(1 Vote)
600g sugar approx
1 orange zested
2 lemons zested and juiced
20 elderberry blossom heads (no brown blossoms)
- Shake the elderflower to remove any insects.
- Place in a large bowl along with the orange zest and lemon zest.
- Pour on water that has been allowed to cool for a minute after boiling - it should be enough to comfortably cover the flowers.
- Leave to infuse for at least four hours or overnight.
- Strain though some muslin or a clean teatowel into a measuring jug and then place in a large saucepan.
- For every 500ml of fluid add 250-300g of sugar and 50ml of lemon juice to the pan.
- Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes and allow to cool.
- Re-strain into preferably sterilised bottles - old plastic water ones are fine.
- Keeps for about 2 weeks in the fridge, but you can freeze easily in plastic bottles.
Good wine substitute when mixed with fizzy water - very sauvignon blanc.
Kids can help