175g caster sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 drop vanilla essence
225g plain flour
- Beat butter and caster sugar together. Vanilla essence if wanted can be added now.
- Beat eggs in one at a time with a tablespoon of flour (out of 8oz/225g of plain flour) with each egg.
- Beat in milk with 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Gently fold rest of flour and baking powder with large metal spoon.
- Transfer to a buttered and floured 8” round deep tin OR two 7” sponge tins.
- Bake at 160C/Gas Mark 3 for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours for 8” tin or about 30 minutes for 2x7” tins.
- Remove cake from oven when golden and a knife comes away clean when poked into centre of cake(s).
Great for a birthday cake. Tastes even better the day after it's made. Could also add coffee essence instead of vanilla for a change.
Kids can help