Serves: 6(1 Vote)
1/2l chicken stock
1 large celeriac peeled, cut into chunks and sliced
4 garlic crushed
250g shallots peeled and sliced
2 handfuls mature cheddar cheese or gruyere - add more to taste)
- Mix the shallots and celeriac together in a reasonably shallow casserole or baking dish.
- Mix the garlic into the celeriac and shallots along with a good seasoning of black pepper and sea salt.
- Pour the stock into the dish, then cover with the lid or some foil and bake on a medium heat for around 30 minutes.
- Take the lid or foil off and bake for another 30 minutes so that the stock reduces and make sure it doesn't burn on top.
- When it's sufficiently dry or cooked through, top the dish with plenty of grated cheese and bake again until the cheese is browned.
I found that using the whole amount of stock was too much, 3/4 of this amount would probably have been better. I had to put the dish in the microwave on high for 10 minutes to boil the excess off, and it was still a bit too liquidy when I served it - although it tasted lovely!