Serves: 8(1 Vote)
1 large lemon or 2 small ones
2kg leg of lamb
3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
6 sprigs oregano
1kg potatoes peeled and quartered lengthways
1 tsp thyme chopped
- Preheat the oven to slow (150C).
- Make 12 small cuts in the lamb with a sharp knife. Press the garlic and oregano into the cuts. Rub lamb with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the lemon rind in long strips with, to use to add flavour as a zester. Squeeze the lemon juice (you'll need 80ml or 1/3 cup).
- Place the lamb in a large baking dish upside down, and pour lemon juice over the joint. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake in a slow oven for 2 hours.
- After time has passed, turn lamb the lamb around 180 degrees and baste. Cover and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes to the roasting dish, and sprinkle with thyme. Cook for a further hour and 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook, uncovered for 15 minutes or until browned (check the lamb, as you don't want to dry it out from overcooking).
- Stand the lamb for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
This is scrumptious! Very tender and full of flavour. Very nice with a big green salad.
Kids can help