Serves: 4(1 Vote)
4 chicken breast
1 medium red onion
1 bunch coriander
3 slices pancetta or good dry-cured smoked streaky bacon
1 handful breadcrumbs (most stale breads will do, works as well with sliced white as with ciabatta)
- To make the stuffing mix, chop the bacon/pancetta into small pieces and fry gently in its own fat.
- Peel and finely chop the onion and add to the bacon; fry until the onion is soft and just slightly coloured.
- Place breadcrumbs (stale bread of whatever kind is best) in a bowl along with bacon and onion.
- Finely chop coriander leaves and add to bowl; mix and season to taste, adding a slug (technical term - probably about 2 tbsp) of olive oil to bind the mixture.
- Take chicken breasts and place smooth side down on your chopping board. With the point of a good knife make a pocket in the underside of each breast.
- Fill the pockets with a generous amount of stuffing - the recipe as given is enough for four chicken breasts - and use cocktail sticks to secure the breasts back into their original shape for baking.
- Place breasts in a baking tin, baste with olive oil, cover with foil and bake for 10 mins at gas mark 6/200C.
- Remove foil and return to oven for another 10-15 mins, then remove cocktail sticks and serve.
Soak the cocktail sticks in water before using, so they won't burn
Goes well with saute or roast potatoes
Sorry about the 'handful' measurement - it's probably about 2 slices' worth of breadcrumbs. Would probably work with thighs as well, but haven't tried it.