Serves: 12(1 Vote)
115g caster sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
6 tbsp sunflower oil plus extra for greasing
140g wholemeal flour
140g plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6.
- Grease a 12 hole muffin tin.
- Grate the courgettes and squeeze out any excess moisture. Place in a bowl and grate in the carrots.
- Sift together both flours and the baking powder into a large bowl, stir in the sugar and sultanas.
- Place the eggs in a jug or bowl and beat lightly, then beat in the buttermilk and oil.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, pour in the beaten liquid ingredients and add the grated vegetables.
- Stir gently until just combined, do not over mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until well risen, golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then serve warm or transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Variation - vegetable and cheese muffins - omit the sultanas and sugar. Add 2 finely chopped spring onions and 3 tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese.