3 pinches flour for dusting
300g all-butter shortcrust pastry (thawed for 20 minutes)
8 tsp strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 3mm thickness.
- Use a 7-8cm heart cutter to stamp out 8 hearts, or a 5cm round plain cutter to stamp out 12 circles.
- Slide a palette knife under the pastry shapes and lower into the heart moulds or bun tin. Gently press the pastry around the edges.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons of jam into each heart and bake for 12 minutes, until the pastry is pale-golden (or spoon 1 teaspoon into each round tart and bake for 8 minutes).
- Carefully remove the tarts from the oven – the jam will be very, very hot so don't touch it! Cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, carefully lift the tarts from the tins using a palette knife. Eat straightaway, or keep in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 2 days.
Ideal for kids' parties as they love hearts and look irrestible.
Ideal for Valentine's Day.
Kids can help
Jam and chutney
Biscuit and sweets