Serves: 32(3 Votes)
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
275g caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
75g cocoa powder
275g plain spelt flour (ordinary plain flour works fine too)
3 eggs beaten
1 handful raspberries (or other jam for filling)
175g butter at room temperature
3 tbsp chocolate fudge icing or other for topping
- Dissolve the cocoa in 350ml (12 fl oz) of boiling water and leave until cold - about 25mins.
- Grease and line an 8” round deep cake tin.
- Set the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the beaten egg a little at a time, including a tsp of flour with each addition to keep it smooth.
- Sift remaining flour, bicarb and baking powder together into the creamed mixture and fold in with the cooled cocoa liquor until smooth.
- Pour into the tin - bake for about 1-1.5 hours until firm to the touch and dry when a knife/ skewer is inserted.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins before turning out onto a rack to cool.
- Slice in half and sandwich with jam or filling of your choice and cover with topping of your choice.
The original cooking time given in this recipe was 1h, but it took an extra 30 mins in my oven at 180 deg C, so allow extra time.
Can be frozen without filling/topping for up to 2 months in sealed freezer bag.
Kids can help