350g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
225g light muscovado sugar
2 tsp ground ginger
7 tbsp sunflower oil
225g pineapple chunks
- Preheat oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and base line a 900g/2lb loaf tin.
- Mix flour, ginger, baking powder and sugar into a bowl.
- Pour pineapple juice into a jug and top up to 250ml with water. Add to dry ingredients with sunflower oil. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour 3/4 of the mixture into the tin, layer pineapple, then pour rest of mixture on top.
- Bake for 50 mins-1 hour. Leave in tin for 10 minutes to cool slightly before turning out.
If you or your children don't like pineapple you can make it a 'plain' ginger cake by leaving out the pineapple and substituting the juice with apple juice.
Kids can help