1 salt and pepper (to taste)
2 pints vegetable stock
3 red onion chopped
80g dried red lentil
- Place the onions in a large pan with 1cm of water in the bottom. Place the lid on the pan and simmer until the onions soften, stirring occasionally and adding a little more water if necessary.
- Add the dried split lentils and stir briefly.
- Add the stock and stir all the ingredients together, replace the pan lid. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding a little more water if necessary.
- Add salt and pepper. Whiz all the ingredients in the pan with a hand blender, taking care as they will be hot!
- Leave to simmer for a further 10 minutes. If you feel the soup is too thick simply add a little more water.
For an added treat why not add dumplings? Make dumpling dough according to manufacturers instructions and add to soup, cooking for about 10-15 minutes.