Homemade jam - in the microwave!
Make delicious homemade berry jam in the microwave (yes, really!) with this brilliant Mumsnet food hack. You don't need a temperature gage, or to spend hours hovering over the job. With this recipe, you'll get perfectly gooey berry jam in a matter of minutes. Perfect for your toast at breakfast time or with scones if you're bluffing your way through a posh afternoon tea.
250g sugar - just plain, white sugar works brilliantly
- 250g of mixed berries - we used raspberries, strawberries and blueberries
- Mix together the 250g of berries with 250g sugar in a microwavable bowl. The larger the bowl the better, as the jam mix will bubble up when heated - you might want to pop the bowl onto a plate for microwaving to save potential spills!
- Pop it in the microwave for five minutes, until the sugar has dissolved. Then give it a stir.
- Microwave for a further 12 minutes, then take it out of the microwave - be careful, the mixture will get VERY hot - then give it one last stir.
- THE JAM-SETTING TEST / FREEZER
To check it's ready to set, pop a small amount of the mixture onto a pre-chilled plate (ours was in the freezer for a few minutes). Return it to the freezer for a few minutes, then remove and push a finger through the splodge of jam. If the divide remains, it's ready. If the goop draws back together, it needs a mother minute or two in the microwave (then repeat the freezer test to be sure).
- Once it's passed the freezer test, leave
it to cool for 10-15 minutes and then pop it into a jam jar. And voila!
Last updated: over 1 year ago