Ham and broccoli muffin nests
Children off school for Easter? Get them excited to be in the kitchen with this easy, seasonal recipe for savoury muffins - the first in our Easter series, sponsored by Lidl
Savoury muffin nests
- 50g broccoli florets
- 15g unsalted butter
- 1/2 small leek (thinly sliced)
- 50g day-old bread (crusts removed and cut into cubes)
- 55g cheddar cheese (grated)
- 60g honey roast ham (chopped)
- 3 eggs
- 120ml semi skimmed milk
- 2 potatoes (grated and squeezed dry)
- 1 egg (whisked)
- salt and black pepper
- 25g melted butter, plus extra for greasing
1. Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the broccoli for 3-4 minutes until tender, then drain and refresh in cold or iced water. When cold, trim the florets into smaller pieces.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan and add the leek. Cook for 5 minutes or until soft, then remove and allow to cool.
3. In a large bowl, mix the leek and broccoli with the bread, cheese and ham.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together, add a pinch of salt, and then add to the other ingredients. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
5. While the mix is chilling, preheat the oven to 200ºc and grease a muffin tin with butter ensuring it is well covered.
6. Make the nests by mixing the potato and egg together and seasoning with salt and pepper. Line the muffin moulds with a thin layer of the potato mix, ensuring the sides and bottom are covered but not too thickly. Pour or brush a little melted butter over the nests and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
7. Turn the oven down to 180ºc, spoon the chilled muffin mix into the nests and return to the oven for a further 15 minutes. When the muffins are cooked, remove them from the tin and allow to cool before serving.
If you liked this, you'll love...
Last updated: 12 months ago